Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
[Looking for a way to drive the rich (and their money) away? Here's one!]

The San Francisco County Transportation Authority is once again eyeing a tax on drivers in the busiest parts of the city's downtown, and has launched a study into a so-called "congestion pricing" plan as traffic begins to pick up following 2020's pandemic-induced lull.

While the pricing plan is still three to five years from being hammered out and requires the approval of both San Francisco's Board of Supervisors and California's legislature, the SFCTA already has an idea of how hard the potential fees might hit commuters and tourists.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/san-francisco-considering-conges...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
The San Francisco County Transportation Authority is once again eyeing a tax on drivers in the busiest parts of the city's downtown, and has launched a study into a so-called "congestion pricing" plan as traffic begins to pick up following 2020's pandemic-induced lull.

While the pricing plan is still three to five years from being hammered out and requires the approval of both San Francisco's Board of Supervisors and California's legislature, the SFCTA already has an idea of how hard the potential fees might hit commuters and tourists.

Just wait, a decade or two after such a thing goes into effect the politicians will be whining about the congestion-charge revenue lost when people use the transit system instead of driving.
No. of Recommendations: 2
There are always cry the rich wont pay.

But the higher the taxes are often the more the rich congregate.

The lower the taxes not so much.
iirc, downtown London has had a congestion tax for several years.

Steve
No. of Recommendations: 5

London instituted congestion pricing nearly two decades ago. The effect has been quite the opposite of what you suggest. The rich can afford to drive in London. The middle class and poor, not so much.
The rich can afford to drive in London. The middle class and poor, not so much.

To decongest one might as well get rid of the less desirable elements... Well done London! 😇

The Captain
No. of Recommendations: 5
They have been talking about doing that for years in Manhattan. I suspect, this time around, it's coming. There is really very little street parking, parking lots charge more than car payments (the daily rate can be astronomical, and the monthly rates are in the $700 range) and there is little room for commercial traffic to get around (and commercial parking meters have been steadily rising in price to where they now can cost $12 an hour.

From a technical standpoint, it would have to be done with a transponder (like EZ-Pass) because of the large number of bridges onto the island and the number of streets leading into midtown. Once a tax like this hits, there will, of course, be temptation to expand it.

Jeff
No. of Recommendations: 1

Good old Fox news...
I fit the above description. If I have to drive downtown, I'll pay the congestion fee. I already jump on BART whenever I need to go downtown, so overall there will be minor adverse effects and decreased congestion. I'd even prefer to ride my bike now that's there are bike lanes rather than drive. It's the Uber & Lyft drivers, who frankly act terribly by blocking streets to pickup/dropoff passengers and delivery vehicles, who need to do more after-hours delivery. Congestion pricing has been in the works for a long time but couldn't happen with the arrival of COVID. Overall it will be good. Congestion pricing works fine in London. The major problem with congestion pricing is Administering it, but now that all the bridges have gotten rid of their toll-takers, drivers have gotten used to the idea of receiving bills in the mail.
No. of Recommendations: 0
" London instituted congestion pricing nearly two decades ago. The effect has been quite the opposite of what you suggest. The rich can afford to drive in London. The middle class and poor, not so much."

The main target is commuters. What SF is doing is "encouraging" commuters to use public transit instead of driving downtown and parking all day. Space is too valuable to tie up with parking even at $28 per day.
The main target is commuters. What SF is doing is "encouraging" commuters to use public transit instead of driving downtown and parking all day. Space is too valuable to tie up with parking even at $28 per day.

Daughter's office is in downtown San Francisco. She lives close (~2 Km) to the Orinda BART station. Unfortunately many of her staff are not so fortunate and the price she mentioned for parking ($60) is far more than $28 per day. So far only a few of her staff are going to the office but her bank is trying to get most of them to come in at least a couple days a week.

Oh, she also mentioned that the Orinda Bart station hasn't been charging anyone for parking there. She says when she gets a ticket she'll start paying again. 😁

Anymouse
" Daughter's office is in downtown San Francisco. She lives close (~2 Km) to the Orinda BART station. Unfortunately many of her staff are not so fortunate and the price she mentioned for parking ($60) is far more than $28 per day. "

I'm sure your banker lady can just pay the congestion pricing for the added convenience of being able to get over the Bay Bridge in a timely fashion with reduced commuter traffic on the bridge. The regional transit plan is to build more high-density reasonably priced housing, including parking around BART stations. That should streamline public commute transit traffic into the City for those less fortunate than your daughter while at the same time reducing bridge traffic for the rest of the region. Now if they could just get the bike lane completed across the Bay Bridge. I've ridden the East span and it's very nice. When they complete it I'm sure there will be plenty of riders for Oakland to SF. Sometimes the obvious takes too long to get done in this politically dysfunctional society.
I'm sure your banker lady can just pay the congestion pricing for the added convenience of being able to get over the Bay Bridge in a timely fashion with reduced commuter traffic on the bridge.

Actually she has been enjoying taking the BART as there are seats available (due to COVID-19 and so many working at home) so she gets work done. She never did like driving into the city if she could help it. When they lived in Oakland and we were visiting I would drive her to the Rockridge Bart station and pick her up there after work.

Contrary to your tone, people that have money don't always act as if they do, her and her hubby are pretty good penny pinchers except when it is important.

Anymouse
London instituted congestion pricing nearly two decades ago. The effect has been quite the opposite of what you suggest. The rich can afford to drive in London. The middle class and poor, not so much.

Ah! So the Brits found a way to keep the riffraff out, good for them.

/snark