Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
We are looking forward to a nice meal in our favorite restaurant.

CNC
Print the post Back To Top

Alpine Village?? ;-)

We also look forward to that, and possibly meeting up with you guys again (either there or here).
Eat out Sunday morning at 7am. First one there and usually only 2 or 3 others by 7:45 when I leave. 40 tables maybe. All by myself.

Eat out Wednesday at 5pm at the Pizza/Pasta place. Usually 1 or 2 others in place with 50 tables. All by myself.

Otherwise, takeout or meals at home.

Been at chinese buffet once in past year - too many folks - to risky - place holds 300-400 but no matter when you go....too many there...... (you wear plastic gloves to serving area, and masks....).

t.
Alpine Village?? ;-)

Actually, that one closed. Possibly abetted by Covid. More like thinking of 2nd St, Landing for fish or J. Trani's for meat. Both are very much local.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Being the cheap SOB that I am, for Christmas 2019 I went to Costco and got a bunch of their restaurant cards: (you pay $80, the cards have a face value of $100). We’ve had $500 worth of restaurant credits sitting for over a year in a desk drawer.

We did use one of them for takeout from PF Changs, but some of them are to really nice restaurants, and takeout just isn’t the way we want to do it, so they sit Hopefhlly n another couple months we’ll be able to have a nice night out at Fleming’s or Ruth’s Chris or wherever.

Can’t wait, really. As for vaccines, I’ve had 2, Mrs. Goofy gets #2 on Monday, so we’re getting there,
No. of Recommendations: 1
I’ve eaten out a good bit this week—friend in from out of town. We were able to eat outside a couple times, and otherwise there was good distancing etc in the dining area so we felt pretty safe. In Memphis our restaurants are still required to be at 50% capacity, masks until you sit down, etc.

It’s been nice going out.
Despite what my governor says (i.e. he has lifted all restrictions on capacity in businesses), I will not eat-out indoors. Air circulation can (and almost certainly will) cause accelerated transport of potentially infected respiratory droplets. I recall reading a few months ago about a restaurant where they figured out that sick people at one table were infecting other tables because the return vent drew air from across the space, exposing pretty much everyone.

We've eaten-out once, and it was an outdoor venue with tables spaced about 10' apart. That was OK. But indoors? Not gonna happen for me for many more months.

Take-out is the best option.

What's annoying is that I have a free birthday pizza coming soon, but the restaurant (both last year and now this year) is demanding I use the dining room. Not gonna happen. Gimme my free pizza take-out, or go to hell. (They had some lame "we want to celebrate your birthday with you", but other than checking the birthday coupon bar code they never mention it...they just want me to risk serious illness for their -admittedly- excellent pizza).

We are, too, CNC. Second shot scheduled this coming Wednesday, March 10. So, March 24 is Freedom Day. We will still wear masks, but we'll go to a restaurant, and I absolutely can't wait to go to the best grocery store in the country, HEB--featured recently in the NYT and called "the moral center of Texas." It will have been 54+ weeks since I last entered my favorite grocery store.
We won't go too crazy, but I already anticipate the feelings of relief.
I probably won't get my shots until May so it'll be awhile before I eat out.

PSU
Not to toss a wet blanket, but a new variant has been found in Oregon that is very similar to the one in the UK and South Africa. It appears to have evolved independently, not been brought here. More contagious, more lethal, vaccines aren't as effective.

May have to await boosters to get ahead of this thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/05/health/virus-oregon-varia...

The new version that surfaced in Oregon has the same backbone, but also a mutation — E484K, or “Eek” — seen in variants of the virus circulating in South Africa, Brazil and New York City.
I'm not looking forward to eating out as much as I'm looking forward to not getting covid!

I've eaten out on a restaurant patio twice during the pandemic. Once last September(?) when picking up my takeout order and noticing there was only one table in use on the patio and deciding to stay and eat there on a beautiful day. And the other taking my brother and his aide out to lunch for his birthday a few months ago. When I was in a cast and then a walking boot, I ordered a lot of meal kits, which sort of feels like eating out as you get something new and different to eat, but I'm rarely doing that now.

I'm a little more nervous about taking the hubster out for a meal since what happened at dinner at home yesterday.

I don't normally stir a salad. I just plate each ingredient as I cut it and pour a little homemade dressing over the top. But yesterday I stirred the hubster's Asian-style salad right before handing it to him as I didn't make much chopped-peanut dressing and wanted to distribute it. He spent the next 10 minutes stirring it rather than eating it. I finally confiscated it and served the miso-glazed cod. Which he ate normally. Then I handed back his salad, which he also ate normally. Makes me a little nervous what he might do in a restaurant now. But so far he's well behaved in public, other than waving too enthusiastically at everyone/every car that goes by.
(((((Alstro)))))
No. of Recommendations: 5
Thanks for the hugs, Count! The hubster still hugs me with enthusiasm, but he's so skinny now that it kind of feels like hugging a stranger (5"11"--138 lbs).

He scared me a bit this morning. I was about to get in the shower when he decided to go outside in his pj's--that's a first. I was already in the altogether so didn't go out after him, but watched for a minute as my shower warmed up (master bath is furthest point from the hot water heater-). WHew! he stayed in the yard.

So I (recklesslessly?) took my shower. By the time I came out, he was in da house, and I told him it was his turn. He dutifully undressed and showered while I laid out his clothes for the day. But he didn't wash his hair (it was mostly dry when he got out--first time I ever noticed that). I tried to get him to go back in and even offered to wash it for him, but No. If he doesn't wash his hair next time, that will be a new task for me. About once a month or two I acquire a new task of his so not a big deal. Whenever that happens, I go "Thank GOd he's still continent! And doesn't wander (except this monring in the yard for a few minutes-)."

Time to get him a tracking device.

Emily Litella (SNL): "It's always something!"
Many of us on the Board think you are amazing. I am sorry I am not closer to be more helpful ( though I would probably refuse to get in the shower with him to wash his hair.....!)

Maryanne
Very true, but some of us also fear we're watching a slow-motion train wreck. It's the death of a thousand cuts. One little thing happens, then another, then another. Until eventually something really bad happens, and then it's too late. :-(
The only amazing part is that I'm kind of a lazy, dreamy person by nature who wants to spend a lot of time quietly reading or listening to music and have had to step up to do stuff I can't stand and am not good at. Stuff that requires perseverance, organization, making decisions.... I once upon a time thought it was enough to do all the shopping, meals, laundry, travel plans, social plans... now I have the rest of it, too, from all the driving even when tired or ill to home maintenance & repair and finances. I hate this stuff. Frankly I'd rather change his Depends!