Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
One of the UK's major store chains going under:

Sir Philip Green's Topshop empire Arcadia Group faces collapse within days putting 15,000 jobs at risk

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8992973/Sir-Philip-...

Crazy economics - expensive cars lining up at foodbanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzXIQwo8lgs

After the UK's chancellor announces this, I wonder where we will be in twelve months:

Rishi Sunak: 'Economic emergency has only just begun'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2020/nov/25/rishi...

...and with all the money printing our countries will be looking like this:

https://nickbaines.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/doing-europe-in-...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3

Sane economics - free is goooood!

Free destroys incentives.

Bread and Circus has been tried before. It failed in Rome. The Barbarians, not the Egalitarians, took over!

The Captain
No. of Recommendations: 9

Sane economics - free is goooood!

Free destroys incentives.

I now drive expensive cars but I haven't always done so. I didn't start spending heavily on cars until the house was paid for and i was financially set up for life, no matter what. I don't understand the logic of having (and keeping) an expensive car where you have to go to a foodbank at the first sign of economic trouble. I feel for the people, but just don't understand them.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I watched the YouTube video of the cars lined up at the foodbank. I'm not really sure I would classify most of the vehicles I saw pull up for a food donation as "expensive" cars. On the mid-to-upper end, perhaps the Mercedes Benz and, possibly, one of the SUVs. But otherwise, most of the cars were just average, US cars, pick-up trucks or SUVs

Equals

Someone buying beyond their means

Jeff
No. of Recommendations: 1
I think it is the 2020 version of Reagan's 1980s welfare queens driving Cadillacs trope.
I'm not really sure I would classify most of the vehicles I saw pull up for a food donation as "expensive" cars.

There seemed quite a few big 4*4 which are expensive here in England

My first three or four cars never cost more than $1,000 (say $2,000 in today's money). I think that the very first one was $600. I now run a large 4*4 which is very thirsty. I can now afford this type of car and wouldn't have dreamed of owning anything like this until I was financially secure.

Come to think of it, this may be why I'm now financially secure!
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

I can now afford this type of car and wouldn't have dreamed of owning anything like this until I was financially secure.

Come to think of it, this may be why I'm now financially secure!

Nah, I once owned a Saab 9000 (in Germany), now I drive a Nissan Micra! 🥳

In truth we no longer do long road trips and the Micra is great for the grocery runs and visiting family 15 min drive from our place.

Tim
"Bread and Circus has been tried before. It failed in Rome. The Barbarians, not the Egalitarians, took over!"

We are ALL Barbarians...

Barbarians have always been in charge.
No. of Recommendations: 2
We are ALL Barbarians...

Considering that the original meaning of the word was "people who don't speak Classical Greek"...
Barbarians took over...
We are all Barbarians...

Brian Muraresku, in The Immortality Key, says the Christians took over from the Classists.

He writes that the Great Library of Alexandria was sacked by mobs of fervent xtians seeking to destroy the knowledge of the pagan witch Greeks/Classists.
And contrasts that destruction with the xtian horror about ISIS destroying antique xtian sites.

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Immortality_Key.htm...

😷
ralph
He writes that the Great Library of Alexandria was sacked by mobs of fervent xtians seeking to destroy the knowledge of the pagan witch Greeks/Classists.

And before that, Julius Ceasar (apparently there were two).

www.britannica.com/topic/Library-of-Alexandria/The-fate-of-t...
The Royal Library was an unfortunate casualty of war. In 48 BCE Julius Caesar became involved in a civil war in Egypt between Cleopatra and her brother Ptolemy XIII. Caesar sided with Cleopatra and was soon besieged by the Ptolemaic forces by land and sea in the great harbour. He realized that his only chance lay in setting fire to the enemy fleet, and it was by that drastic measure that he managed to gain the upper hand. Yet he is remarkably silent regarding the extent of the destruction caused by the fire in the city itself....

Most explicit is Plutarch, who, after a personal visit to Alexandria, explained that “Caesar was forced to repel the danger by using fire, which spread from the dockyards and destroyed the Great Library.”....

The daughter library, protected by the Serapeum, subsisted up to the 4th century as long as paganism survived. But when Christianity became the one and only religion acknowledged throughout the empire, Emperor Theodosius I in his zeal to wipe out all vestiges of paganism issued a decree in 391 sanctioning the demolition of temples in Alexandria. Empowered by the imperial decree, Theophilus, bishop of Alexandria, led an attack on the Serapeum

DB2
And contrasts that destruction with the xtian horror about ISIS destroying antique xtian sites.

Once religion in the wild was domesticated it became a powerful instrument of political power. Avoid!

The Captain
Sometimes it's a neighbor hauling someone who doesn't even have a car - to a food bank to pick up supplies. Not for the car owner but perhaps for a renter or neighbor or church friend.

t