No. of Recommendations: 0
Ed: keep in mind that almost all interest-bearing cash-equivalent investments are earning VERY LOW yields right now. The best money-market mutual funds (i.e. Fidelity, Vanguard) are paying yields of around 1.80%, check some of the fund yields at www.imoneynet.com

Your credit union may or may not offer the level and calibre of service you desire but some options you have include:

1. Comparing other branchless OLBs such as First Internet Bank of Indiana (recent winner for "Best Online Bank" in a thorough poll sponsored by the MSN Online Banking message board), American Bank/PC Banker, Bank of Internet, USAA FSB, Umbrella Bank, and State Farm Bank.
Some of them offer great rates and better overall service and pricing than NetBank, particularly when you look at the big picture of the total combination of service quality and cost of various transactions as well as ease of use.

2. Comparing other credit unions which you might be eligible to join - some CUs are VERY responsive to members and offer awesome deals.

3. Comparing some local community banks in your area - some of these offer surprisingly good deals which are not advertised outside of the local market area.

I hope this gives you more options. If you decide to go with NetBank, I hope you have an excellent experience with them - there are some folks who have been satisfied with NetBank and I think the key is knowing exactly what things you might be charged for and how to avoid those charges.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.