Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2

The Coverdell is the account you can take funds out of for school without taxation. Taking it from the UTMA only allows you to get taxed at your son's tax bracket.

When we cashed in Eldest's Coverdell last year to pay for college, we got a tax doc from the administrator of the account showing the withdrawal, which we offset with the document the university sent with qualifying amounts paid. No taxes were required on our part.

a parent, not a tax pro
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.