Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Eddie writes:

<<Aside from the good responses of the other folks to your question. If you're nearing retirement, you may want to
check into what's called "catch-up provision" which some companies offer, whereby you may be able to put more
than your maximum away for a given period of time. I hope this helps.>>

<<Sorry, but you're confusing a 401k plan with a 403b plan. Legally, there is no such thing as a "catch up" provision for a 401k
plan. If you don't contribute the maximum in a year, that ability is lost forever and cannot be made up in a subsequent year.
OTOH, a 403b plan does allow for increased contributions under certain conditions for those who did not contribute the
maximum in prior years. But a 403b plan is not the same thing as a 401k.

Regards..Pixy>>

Pixy- this is what I was referring to in my post above. http://www.texasaver.com/tx00400.htm#457_Catch_Up_Provision
Am I still wrong?? Thanks.
Eddie
Contents of the URL:
457 Catch-up Provision
If you are eligible for the 457 Plan, you may apply for a special "catch-up" arrangement when you are within three years of
your Normal Retirement Age under the 457 Plan regardless of whether or not you have previously contributed to the 457
Plan. (Normal Retirement Age is a range of ages beginning with the earliest age at which an employee has the right to retire
under the State's basic pension plan without actuarially reduced (early) retirement, and ending at age 70½.) This allows you
the option of making up some or all of any 457 "unused deferrals" (deferrals missed during previous years of 457 Plan
eligibility). All contributions to 403(b) plans, the 401(k) Plan and the 457 Plan are considered to be "457 deferrals" when
determining if there are any unused deferrals. Catch-up deferrals must be made within the last three calendar years preceding
the year of Normal Retirement Age. While you are using the catch-up provision, your total annual deferral (regular plus
catch-up) may not exceed $15,000 per year.

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.