No. of Recommendations: 4
Edlbym: "Thanks to all..and particular thanks to JAFO31 for your extensive informative post."

Your welcome.

"For me, FIT would be about the same as your calculation, about 10% (it would be higher for those who want to retire on 100k or more per year) but for me that's about right."

More income, more tax, eventually higher brackets.

"However I was referring about total tax, I mean those other taxes won't disappear, state tax particularly, but also sales tax, possibly other taxes if I buy a home."

But how many people really track all those taxes separately as taxes. And even if you are renting now, you ar paying ad valorem taxes via your rent (all or some depending upon the landlord's cash flow position).

You control sales taxes when you mkae your purchase decisions (or, more importantly, yor decisions not to purchase). "Make do, fix it, or do without" is still sound advice.

"That and wishing to make the assumption that tax rates will go up on ordinary folks..even with all of that, maybe 20% is safe "Total tax" rather than 25% as I said..I like to be pessimistic and pleasantly surprised, than over confident and get burned..but yeah, probably 20% is safe enough for total tax.."

All you can do is plan for the current rules and keep an eye on proposed changes. I love all the people to advocate rolling regular IRAs to Roth IRAs paying income tax now and also advocate for the FairTax (or some other consumption tax).

"Just now re-reading some of those retire early homepage articles over the past half hour, it really hit home how much of this is guesswork. I mean the website is wonderful and I admire his work and detail...enormously..But the only hard numbers are when we look into the past, like 1973 to 2003...and seems to em we can't really assume that any information, like about smallcap vs large, or value vs growth or anything else, will be very similar, or even necessarily similar, when the history of 2003-2033 or 2011-2041 is written..who knows?"

My crystal ball is in the shop for servicing and I cannot locate one to borrow.

"The other thing that really hit home is how fortunate I am to be planning to be 'retired' in quotes, and what a blessing it is to be able to have the healthy to continue working, at least PT maybe more...so long as that keeps up, one can always stop all, or at least some, of one's withdrawals."

Count your blessings, but do not forget to live now, too. Sometimes lifes is "nasty, brutish and short" and then you die. {T. Hobbes]

Remember, "life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." [J. Lennon]

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.