Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I am over the income limit to make a contribution to an Education IRA. I've read here and other places that there is a giant loophole wherein I can gift the money to my 8 mo. old daughter and she can contribute the money to her own Education IRA.

Please let me know if this loophole is something I should avoid.

How does one go about gifting the money to an infant? If I transfer the money to a savings account in her name, can I just have a cashiers check written from that account to Vanguard? Do I need to actually setup and account or can I just take a picture of her holding, and attempting to eat, a personal check from me made out to Vanguard?

Thanks for the help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.