Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay, it looks like the idea for sort of an reading/educational theme has some support. Exactly on what physical scale, areawise, or how to physically handle logistics are still open, and discussion concerning those matters will be best initiated by the people "on the ground", so to speak.

I've always been facinated by the tv ads for Leapfrog products. ( www.leapfrog.com ) I notice TMF has a Leapfrog Board,

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=19481311&bid=116093

and although I didn't recognize any of the Posters names (except Twitty) I'm sure somebody there would help with some info. Perhaps they even have a program offering discounts for charitable giving?

SB (only 6.5 weeks till Christmas)
Print the post Back To Top
SB (only 6.5 weeks till Christmas)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, SB -- I noticed that too that we are heading towards the educational aspect!

DONT TELL ME HOW MUCH TIME I HAVE LEFT -- LOL

I do my best work under pressure!!

I thrive on it!

I am an adrenaline junkie!

BTW -- you just volunteered to go to the LeapFrog board and drag Twitty here!!!!

I am still waiting for the rest of you to sign in and tell me which board you went to!!

Uncle jeffy
RE: UJeff: "BTW -- you just volunteered to go to the LeapFrog board and drag Twitty here!!!!"

No problem. I didn't want to get too many things going on here at once, but I'll at least read the Threads and make a few inquiries. Maybe we even have a TMF member who works there?

Keep Up The Good Work!

SB (although you ain't seen nothin' yet!)
No. of Recommendations: 7
I'd like to be the gentle voice of dissent regarding LeapFrog products for the impoverished.

Most of these things need batteries, right? Do people who are hungry have a budget for batteries? I doubt it.

This reminds me of a story told by the guy who sells coffee to CostCo under the brand San Francisco Bay Coffee or something like that (too busy drinking to pay attention).

He took the business over from his Dad. When he went down to Guatamala and saw the conditions the coffee pickers were living in he was appalled and wanted to do something for them. His immediate thought was to build schools (great idea) and get them wired for the internet and get computers. His Guatamalen counterparts thanked him for his thoughts and then said, "How about if we start with pencils and paper and some books".

Sometimes just handling the basics constitutes a huge step in the right direction.

Just a thought.

The kids at my highschool participated in a program to acquire and stuff backpacks with basic stuff (papers, pencils, pens, etc). They put together thousands of them. Not sure where they went but I'd be happy to find out if that makes sense.

I'm kind of fond of just getting toys to kids who have nothing. Toys are good. Toys are important. Every child should have a nice toy or two even if they don't get enough to eat. Hunger is more tolerable when you have a personal item to cling to.

MPF
I'd like to be the gentle voice of dissent regarding LeapFrog products for the impoverished.

Most of these things need batteries, right? Do people who are hungry have a budget for batteries? I doubt it.

Good points.

I wandered through Staples today to see what they had that might offer some suggestions, and noticed that the Leapfrog stuff started at $15.00 and went up to $60.00 (or maybe beyond that). I wondered whether that would be the most effective use of the money that we'll have.

If you could find out the information about the backpacks that would probably be a good starting point.

Nancy
If you could find out the information about the backpacks that would probably be a good starting point.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Salvation Army up here does that at the beginning of each school year!!

But still think it would be a good idea as a Xmas presents too -- stuff them with school stuff, books to read, toys and food????????

Just thinking out loud!!!

Uncle Jeffy
No. of Recommendations: 1
But still think it would be a good idea as a Xmas presents too -- stuff them with school stuff, books to read, toys and food????????

I found a post I wrote last year about getting something for Toys for Tots. It included an article from the Boston Globe about suggestions for toys to give; suggestions about things that will really help spark creativity and thinking. Since I did a cut-and-paste, the article is included at the bottom.

There are a lot of children's craft kits available: basic materials, simple instructions. And I always loved stuffed animals more than dolls. So maybe this will offer some suggestions and ideas.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18252947

Nancy
p.s. Jeffy, you're sending out elongated posts again.
RE: MPF: "I'd like to be the gentle voice of dissent regarding LeapFrog products for the impoverished. Most of these things need batteries, right? Do people who are hungry have a budget for batteries? I doubt it."

I was thinking of channeling more expensive or complex donations, like the Leapfrog products, to schools, libraries etc where they could serve a wider audience.

Cheaper do-it-yourself type products, games, books etc would maker great direct gifts.

I'm guessing we will have enough support to do both, plus food, clothing, wharever, as the case may be.

WHat we are going to run short of is time. So we have to come to at least a general concensus pretty quickly.

SB (as far as Leapfrog goes, I was thinking of hitting up them up directly for donations)