Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Everyone,

I graduated in May 2015. I paid tuition in September 2014 for the final year of my school, which includes one semester in 2014 (the fall semester) and one semester in 2015 (the spring semester). Since the tuition was paid in 2014, I only received a 1098-T in 2014 from my school and I did not receive a 1098-T in 2015. I did not file for tax return in 2014 because I did not have any income. My parents did not claim any education expense on me because their income is too high. But they did claim me as their dependent on their tax return in 2014. I started working July 2015. Therefore I am preparing my tax return for 2015. Can I claim the tuition I paid in 2014 for the 2015 semester as educational expense in my 2015 return to get the education credit?

Thank you very much.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.