Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a 401k through my employer at Edward Jones. Anyone else deal with them? They don't seem very helpful when it comes to picking low cost funds. I know they don't have Vanguard funds but anyone have a good idea what they'd offer that is lower cost? Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I didn't know they had any low cost funds. What are the options?

Fuskie
Who looked into them once and thought they were pretty overpriced for his needs...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Orbital ATK (OA), Blue Nile (NILE), Intuit (INTU), Time Warner (TWX)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
I may be misinformed but I'm don't think they have any of their own funds. Instead they probably offer funds provided by other fund companies. I think you would have to tell us what funds they have offered through your 401k.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Edward Jones is a full service broker. Hence, you expect to be guided to load funds most of the time. But some brokers waive loads for 401ks. Check yours out before you decide.

Does your 401k allow you to purchase etfs? Some of those could be a better deal but depends on commissions and frequency of purchases.
Has your employer selected a "menu" of funds for use in the plan? usually, the service provider provides a "platform" that has many (hundreds) of fund to choose from, and the employer selects a dozen or so for inclusion in the plan. It's the employer's responsibility to prudently select the funds, and to prudently select the service provider who offers the menu of funds. Edward Jones caters to the smaller plan market space, and the economics of that space are such that costs are higher (there is a fixed allocation of "overhead" that each plan has to cover, and that means it's going to be more expensive than General Motor's plan, on a per participant basis).

Check with your employer and let them know you think the funds aren't appropriate and use the words "fiduciary duties" and tell them you are just concerned (for them) because of all the litigation out there surrounding fees and expenses (including fund expense ratios) in the plan.

By the way, Vanguard doesn't share any revenue back to a service provider, so while some of their funds may be available in some plans, sometimes, the use of those funds means the expenses of running the plan must come from other sources (including hard dollar charges to participant accounts or other revenue sharing mutual funds). Vanguard does have a small plan product that uses Vanguard funds - it's actually run by Ascensus (a "pure" recordkeeping company that has a deal with Vanguard).
use of those funds means the expenses of running the plan must come from other sources (including hard dollar charges to participant accounts or other revenue sharing mutual funds).

Some companies report being able to fund their 401k expenses from the funds of people who abandon their match before it is vested.

Those are good questions to ask. But not all funds are bad at it. Some do quite well. Larger plans tend to do better. Its the small plans that often have high expenses.
Can't purchase ETFs inside the 401k. I've got an American Funds Global Growth Fund. It has a 1.17% expense ratio. I've been investing in stocks and ETFs for a few years and was surprised how much bull there is with these 401ks. Thought I knew a little something until then. I've tried pressing him for other options but then you get steered into life insurance, disability insurance, etc. Just wondering if anyone had dealt with them before. They are like a car dealer for mutual funds. I have mixed feelings about them.
AGTHX -- is that the one? Pays a 5.75% front end load according to Yahoo
Finance.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=AGTHX+Profile

Are you paying a load? Or is it waived? Or back loaded, usually B shares?

This is typical of what full service brokers offer their clients.
No load
The ticker is actually RGLCX. Like an R3 or something. That's what I mean about 401ks being so confusing. You maybe have the right ticker for the fund but it's different when it's in a 401k
Interesting. RGLCX is also in the Yahoo Finance data base. If you plot the two funds side by side, it is clear they have the same investment portfolio, but apparently they differ in accounting for expenses and maybe dividends/distributions.

https://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=RGLCX+Interactive#{"allowChartStacking":true}

They are quite similar but not identical.
They are identical funds (same portfolio) but different share classes (meaning different expense ratios)