Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Didn’t know where to post this, but here goes. . .

Every fall around this time I catch a mouse or two in my house. The problem is that I have a small dog and don’t want her to get hurt. I can set traps in my attic and basement, because she never goes there, but the kitchen is where mice give me the most trouble. I refuse to use sticky traps, which I consider to be too inhumane, and I’m not so softhearted that’s I’d use a “humane” trap.

Anyone know of a petsafe mousetrap?

Trini
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
I use a cat ....
No. of Recommendations: 1
We had a mouse in the house once upon a time, and we used catch-and-release mechanical traps. They're plastic containers that you put a little bait into, and when the mouse enters to grab the bait a trapdoor or gate will snap shut. Then you take the trap outside and open the gate/door, and the mouse runs free. Because they have no poison or glue, they're pet and kid-safe.

The only issue is that you have to check the traps pretty frequently, so you don't end up with a mouse dying of thirst.

Albaby
Mice can and do get in places with very small openings - certainly a holes the size of a quarter is easy for mice to pass. So put your snap trap in a panty or the draw under an oven or a cabinet that has a door open a crack.
Post your question here:

https://boards.fool.com/building-maintaining-a-home-100167.a...

There are almost annual discussions about catching rodents (mice, rats, racoons, squirrels, etc).

We don't have that issue, so I have no direct experience. But I like the concept of the diving board trap. You fill a bucket with water, put a "diving board" that can't support the mouse, bait it, and when the mouse goes for it they get dumped in the bucket and drown. You can see several versions of this trap on YouTube (and how to make them). No danger to your dog.
I had a mouse in my pantry which could not be caught with a snap trap. I even baited it with a Q-Tip cotton swap smearing in peanut butter. The next day the cotton swap was still in the trap and licked clean. I tried the little house type traps where the mouse enters and can't leave. The only thing that caught it was a glue trap on the first night of use.

PSU
I use a cat ....

My cats are too stupid to catch a mouse. They wouldn't know what to do with it. Yes, they'd play with it for a while, but then they'd let it go when they got bored.

--Peter
My cats are too stupid to catch a mouse. They wouldn't know what to do with it. Yes, they'd play with it for a while, but then they'd let it go when they got bored.

The original Senior Cat in Charge ate any mouse that he caught. I think that the next SCiC would have eaten them, too, but he never got a chance while the first SCiC was alive and after that we lived in places with fewer mice. The Junior Cat - my only cat at present - would only be interested in a mouse if it were a very expensive mouse that came in a blue box labeled "Tiffany."
it were a very expensive mouse that came in a blue box labeled "Tiffany."

"Ivanka" is too classy for any cat--and those items were being sold for $1 each as clearance merchandise.
This is OT, but saying "Ivanka" and "classy" in the same sentence is an oxymoron, unless one includes a term of negation.

Just sayin'.
Found one video. It describes two methods. You can make is a live trap, or a kill trap at your option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY4nH9XCt_E
This is OT, but saying "Ivanka" and "classy" in the same sentence is an oxymoron, unless one includes a term of negation.

"Ivanka" *is* a negative term (IMO).
I've used all of them, including my own design "diving board" version. These days, with colder weather starting, we're finding occasional mice caught in "snap bang" traps downstairs in the oil tank room and in the "have a heart" trap in there, too.

My "have a heart" is heartless, however. I find that if I check every couple of days I may find a dead mouse in there, so I can dump him outside. Do they die from fright, lack of water, or what?

Vermonter