Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is anyone else seeing egg prices plummet?

I used to only buy them when they were on sale for $0.99 a dozen, which was frequent. One of the major chains would have them on sale for that price at least monthly, usually more frequently.

Last week, I bought an 18-pack at Walmart for $1.26. I thought it might be a response to Aldi's opening up some stores here in Phoenix. Their regular price is $0.89 per dozen.

I was going to get some more at Walmart this week, but then the Fry's Foods (i.e. Kroger) ad came out -- $0.89 per 18-pack.

I'm wondering if the recent prices are an egg market thing or a price war thing?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Maybe short term oversupply. Weather is interrupting deliveries to many areas.
!!!

I buy organic, free range brown eggs. $4.59 a dozen.

I'm probably nuts, especially as I throw out at least half of them.

But I'm "iffy" about eggs. Sometimes they just gross me out, no matter how fresh they are.

Wessex
There are no eggs for sale in DFW. Store shelves bare. Not an egg in sight for the past week.

At least at the WM.

Dunno about the Kroger.....

Same for milk.....there were 3 gallons of milk on the rows of shelves at the WM this morning....of any kind. No almond milk. two half gallons of expensive organic soy milk - chocolate flavor. That was it.

Gas was up 25c at the pump but at least you could buy it. Stations were 'out of gas' last week.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Eggs are a typical "loss leader" item in the weeks before Easter. Just a thought...

sjfans
Those are going to be some pretty old colored eggs by Easter.

PSU
Those are going to be some pretty old colored eggs by Easter.

By law, an egg can be sold for up to 30 days after the date it was put in the carton. And farmers have up to 30 days to go from when the egg is laid to the carton. That means those supermarket eggs can be two months old by the time you buy them.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/how-fresh-are-supermarket-egg...
By law, an egg can be sold for up to 30 days after the date it was put in the carton. And farmers have up to 30 days to go from when the egg is laid to the carton. That means those supermarket eggs can be two months old by the time you buy them.

Well, Easter is more than 30 days away and the last time I looked, eggs in the store are in cartons.

PSU
"Those are going to be some pretty old colored eggs by Easter.

PSU "

There is a very good reason parents need to count the eggs hidden for Easter Egg
hunts.

Howie52
I suggest double counting after the hunt is over.
There is a very good reason parents need to count the eggs hidden for Easter Egg
hunts.

This just reminds me of Easter a bunch of years back. We had the family up for dinner, and were eating in the dining room when someone happened to look out the window. From my dining room table, we were watching the family across the street in their own yard having an Easter egg hunt. The daughter must have been about 4 or 5, and she was clearly complaining to her parents that she could not find any eggs. Which we could all plainly see. From across the street, up the hill and inside my dining room. We still laugh about that when we are eating in there.

Just thought I'd share a chuckle.
My granddaughter, being younger than my grandson, can't find Easter eggs as quickly. So when they're at my house for Easter, I label each egg with one of their initials so she can get her fair share. I use plastic eggs and put a jelly bean or 2 in each. They color chicken eggs too, but I don't hide those.
I use plastic eggs and put a jelly bean or 2 in each. They color chicken eggs too, but I don't hide those.

When the grandkids were younger, I failed to understand they were use to plastic Easter eggs. One Easter was at my house. I did what I was use to which was chicken eggs. The youngest grandchild was really unhappy when she crushed the chicken egg trying to open it.
In my "youth" I bought the cheap white eggs, then while raising my kids we had chickens as pets, which were free range and supplied eggs for years, if the dogs didn't get the eggs first. I became used to fresh brown eggs that once the kids and chickens were gone, I now buy free range brown eggs, usually Vital Farms brand. They aren't cheap, usually $5-7 a dozen, but fresher than cheap white eggs. But I also own stock in Vital Farms, so getting some of it back, well sort of. Although it was hard to color brown eggs for Easter.
The problem with fresh eggs is that they don't peel well when hard boiled. Store bought old ones peel much easier. The fresh ones taste much better.

PSU
Hey, egg-man, you have balloons!

peace & speech
t
Here's a YouTube of a factory process that peels 1.2M to 1.5m eggs per week. There is no mention of new vs old eggs.

Cook about 18 minutes at sub boiling temperature.
At about 2:50 point, he describes peeling the eggs.
https://youtu.be/F7HBxBCaUMI

Their trick is to place them in cold/ice water for a few minutes.
I've seen this method referenced on several cooking shows, too.

https://youtu.be/RV9nz1qlY64
15 minutes in ice water.

I'm gonna try this method. He uses just cold tap water, though.
https://youtu.be/GPFHv5SKbZ4

😷
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 7
I think one reason they are harder to peel is that there is less air inside the shell. As the egg gets older, some of the liquid evaporates, thereby more air.

This is the best tip, and really works—for easy-peel, perfectly shaped eggs ( very important here in the South for deviled eggs).

Gently stick a sew pin or needle into the center of the wider end of the egg. It’ll go in pretty easily—you may need to work it for a sec—then drop it into the water. The egg won’t drip out, but the air will bubble out and the egg will reposition inside the shell. Boil as usual, cool immediately. And I promise (money back guarantee!) that you’re egg will look perfect and be easy to peel.
The problem with fresh eggs is that they don't peel well when hard boiled.

I hate peeling so much that I just stopped doing it.

I now make my "hard boiled" eggs in the microwave. Four take 2 minutes @ 80% power. No peeling needed. Just crack the eggs into the cooker and stick 'em in the microwave.

My favorite way to do them is egg bites:

https://imgur.com/a/Bh95ZAc

Of course, because of their shape, I can't make deviled eggs. But for things like egg salad or chopped up eggs for a salad or eating "as is" hot or cold, they're great.

They would also work for Low Carb Deviled Egg Canapés:

https://stepawayfromthecarbs.com/low-carb-deviled-egg-canape...

I eat a lot of eggs, and even do my omelets and (keto) cream cheese pancakes in the microwave. About the only time I skip the microwave is for my (keto) Eggs Benedict:

https://imgur.com/a/YFtUXQx

Come to think of it, I do the Hollandaise in the microwave. :)
Ahhh, we share the same dinner plate pattern. :)
"Ahhh, we share the same dinner plate pattern. :) "

Clean?
Full?
Then empty and dirty?

Howie52
typical pattern for the family.
It’s a paper plate in the picture. :)
"It’s a paper plate in the picture. :) "

Needs care when cleaning.

Howie52
hate it when the eraser tears a hole through the plate.
Needs care when cleaning.

Howie52
hate it when the eraser tears a hole through the plate.

That’s what duct tape is for.

Sheesh! Everybody knows that one. :)
I just paid 0.69/doz for Jumbo size at regular price. Previously, the regular price for Jumbo eggs was 1.59/dz.

But yeah, they've gotten crazy cheap.
"I just paid 0.69/doz for Jumbo size at regular price. Previously, the regular price for Jumbo eggs was 1.59/dz.

But yeah, they've gotten crazy cheap."

The government is sponsoring a study to see which came first.

Howie52
The prices may not be so low here in Phoenix in the near future. A huge farm fire in Tonopah recently killed 165,000 hens.

https://www.abc15.com/news/firefighters-battle-massive-fire-...
The government is sponsoring a study to see which came first.

Howie52

The answer is the egg.
You think God made eggs and not chickens?
No. of Recommendations: 5
You think God made eggs and not chickens?

There is fossil history to show evolution. DNA is determined at the time the egg is laid. The creature that barely not a chicken laid an egg that was a chicken.