Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Eggs and sperm do not represent human life. The combination of an egg and sperm at conception produces a fetus which IS human life.

A fetus has human DNA (as does eggs and sperm and every other human body part), Ill agree that that's fact. Whether the fetus is human "life" is still up for debate and is by no means fact and that is the crux of most arguments on the issue.

Using your logic, its impossible to make a determination when human life begins. Moreover, your definition of a "potential human being" excludes infants as well as those adults who are ventilator dependent or otherwise dependent on medical assistance.

That's true. Since a fetus may mature at a faster rate than other fetus, it is difficult to say in terms of weeks/trimesters/etc when a fetus can live outside the womb. However, on a case by case basis it can be determined when it can live outside the womb based on the development of their lungs, brain, etc.

A person that is incapacitated can no longer decide for themselves, which is why many people have living wills that state what they want done if they were to be incapacitated like you describe. If not, the family decides.

I understand your rationale in attempting to exclude a fetus from the definition of human life. It makes it easier to accept compromise but neverthless, it is a denial of fact. I think it is FACTUAL to distinguish between DEVELOPING human life and FULLY DEVELOPED human life. It is certainly reasonable to assign different rights depending on stages of development. We already do - even in the case of children.

Your "developing human life" is my "potential human life". We are just drawing the "life" line and what rights each are entitled to in different places. Im not sure how that makes my argument "denying facts" while yours is based on solely on facts.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.