Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 23
I'm taking him to the vet to be put to sleep in a little bit.

"Deaf, mostly blind but happy" at his checkup in early May, but yesterday the kids called me at work in a panic because he was getting sick, shaking, uncomfortable and generally very, very sick.

Emergency vet T got him into found a very large tumor on his spleen, pushing all his organs around and putting him in pain.

They were able to give him pain meds and some anti-nausea that make him more comfortable, and we brought him home to say goodbye.

He's clingy, cannot get comfortable and will only eat people food. He's not drinking enough fluid, and you can see him calculating whether or not the deck stairs are worth going down to pee.

The two eldest are going with me to the vet. T had to be at work today, but made peace with the decision yesterday.

Poor old puppy.

impolite
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Imp,

I'm so sorry for your loss.

El Stupido has been part of your family for a some time, it is natural and necessary to grieve about his passing. Our pets are with us such a short time, no matter how long.

Ignore any a-holes who say "It's just a dog."

Leana
No. of Recommendations: 1
My condolences on your loss.

Wally
No. of Recommendations: 8
Thanks guys.

He went quickly and peacefully, the vet thinks the tumor actually burst since his belly was so distended by the time we got there.

The kids were a mess; tonight we have to tell the youngest. :(

This is the worst part of having a dog.

impolite
Rest In Peace sweetheart

Hugs to you and your family imp.

Lucky Dog
Condolences on the loss. I'm glad you could take the 2 oldest kids with you. Then-wife didn't give our daughter the option when my cat (the first pet daughter had ever known) had to be put down. My daughter still resents losing that cat without having had a chance to say goodbye.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Condolences on the loss. I'm glad you could take the 2 oldest kids with you. Then-wife didn't give our daughter the option when my cat (the first pet daughter had ever known) had to be put down. My daughter still resents losing that cat without having had a chance to say goodbye.

I would say "give the option to be there". I was there when my father put our beagle down when I was a teenager. I wish I was never there.

PSU
(((((Imp and family)))))

Isewquilts
No. of Recommendations: 2
None more dear and none missed more dearly than our beloved pets:(
:(
My condolences to you and your family. It is very sad to lose a beloved pet.
Aw, crap. I'm so sorry you had to put him down. You did the right thing to end his suffering. I know it really sucks for you & your family because you're good people that loved him (no matter how big of a pain in the butt he was). Many times the final kindness we can show our pets is to help end their pain, even though it's hard as heck for us. (((hugs))) I hope the memories of El Stupido being a happy dumb-dumb will be a comfort to you and your family. You gave him a good life.
No. of Recommendations: 13
I hope the memories of El Stupido being a happy dumb-dumb will be a comfort to you and your family. You gave him a good life.

Yes, he was absolutely the dumbest dog around and because (and in spite of) that a great joy to us.

The youngest did well with the news - cried off and on a few hours, but seems to have accepted it as for the best.

The neighbor, an older fellow, cried a little when T talked to him over the fence this morning.

I've hollered for him twice when coming in the house (because even though he ended up going deaf, *we* hadn't adjusted to that yet) and then caught myself; T has dropped food while cooking and then remembered he had to pick it up (usually El Stupido "helped" us cook by keeping the floor clean), and I've seen the kids open the back door and hold it open a beat too long, still waiting for the dog to come outside with them.

He was a good dog, and very spoiled. He had eye-watering gas, bad breath, yeasty ears, and hacked like he had a hair ball every once in a while. He liked to lick Q on his calves when he was wearing shorts - because it made Q high-step away yelling his name; he liked to catch Her Bootiness unawares with a big ol' lick up the face; he loved laying on the couch with Leroy Jethro and in the chair with T....climbed right on up there like he was a lap dog. He got jealous if T was holding Leroy Jethro, or playing catch with him...so would bring his own toy or try to push Leroy Jethro out of the way. When he wasn't feeling well, there were fireworks, or T was off hunting, El Stupido followed me everywhere in the house. EVERYwhere. I would open the shower curtain and find him laying on the bath mat.

I don't think we'll have another dog for a very long time, as long as T can keep up his resolve about it (I'm insistent we don't need one; T knows intellectually we don't need one right now but he's a sucker for dogs, so if someone breaks, it will be him).

The house definitely feels like it's missing something.

impolite
I am so sorry. Dogs play a big part in our lives.

Cosmos
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry for your loss... it is never easy to lose a family member.
I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing all of the stories.

c
Imp, I am sorry for your loss.

- Pam
No. of Recommendations: 5
Losing your dog is just something they don't tell you will hurt so badly. It's been nearly 5 years since I lost the BestDogEver. Coming home anad not having him standing by the door waiting for me was the worst thing ever. I barely made it two weeks before I called the breeder for a puppy. I love my new boy - he is chaos on 4 feet, but every day when we go out to the garden, I look at the place my old boy is sleeping under the roses and I tell him I miss him.

My condolences and virtual hugs.

<3
Hunzi
Hi Hunzi...thanks for posting, I’m crying now thinking about my beloved sweet ones who passed. It’s been 3 yrs. since the last sweet one passed. I have Mr. Fluffy the cat but I really miss having a canine friend....been looking at rescue groups online lately too. I’m getting ready I think. :)

Hugs to all