No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Fools, I'm curious to know what you wise ones would do in this siutation.

My parents are 69 and 67 years old, both still working as attorneys, living in a house they own outright, both still in good health, neither is drawing social security yet. My father (the 69 year old) plans on working until he is 100 or dead, whichever comes first, and has a steady income. My mother expects to work for a few more years, but her income is sporadic, as she's a sole practitioner who does a lot of pro bono work.

They are excellent savers, have had IRAs for years, and most of their money is managed by a financial planner. The money does well enough with the planner, but it is HEAVY HEAVY in stocks, especially energy stocks. Nonetheless, my father is content with the planner even though my mother thinks their portfiolio is far too risky for people their age, and I'm not getting between them on that one (though I agree with my mother).

However, my mother recently came into a large amount of money from a case and doesn't want to give it to the planner. She wants to put it somewhere conservative. Their main concern for spending down the road is that health care is so unpredictable and for all they know, they could live to be 100...

CDs are certainly an option, as are T-bills. Anything else you would consider?
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.