No. of Recommendations: 0
We are getting close to our closing date on an investment property with a few more things to get into place. We live in Florida, so we buy flood insurance for our own residence. The investment property had a survey done by the current owner, and a copy of that was good enough to show the homeowner's insurance people. However, for us to get flood insurance, they need an elevation certificate. We called the company who did the survey a year ago and they said it would be $150-$200 for them to come to the property, and do an elevation certificate for us.

It just seems to me, that with the (flood zone) maps that the county has, along with current GPS technology, they would be able to get us an elevation certificate for a minimal cost from the city offices or something. Am I missing something here? Must one pay so much for an elevation certificate? Sounds simple to me. Thanks for any info.

Print the post  


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.