Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Elliot,

Read the banner above your results. You'll see your portfolio begins in 2005, not
1985. You can extend it to 2000, the earliest QQQ can be used in the free PV site, by changing TLT
to VUSTX and GLD to RGLD (not completely equivalent to gold, but related to gold and trading at that time). Robbie just posted a number of extended indexes, and one might be a version of QQQ so that
might allow you to further extend your test at gtr1.net/2013.

If you believe, as I do,that bonds will begin to drop as interest rates rise sometime in the next ten years or so, and inflation will eventually increase as congress blows up the dollar, you might consider
50-50 QQQ and RGLD or FNV. To avoid worrying about the drawdowns, which are larger than you might want to see, don't look at it often, but
fund it as often as you can! Seems like a joke, but this 'set it and forget it, ignorance is bliss' thing fortunately happened to me. When my pension fund was started I didn't know much about stocks or bonds, so I got equal amounts of a spy like fund and a bond & mortgage fund. At that time, long ago, I think those and a straight annuity were the only choices I had. I mostly ignored it except when my annual report was sent to me. Ended up fine. Probably better than if I had played with it and with much less stress.

rrjjgg
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.