No. of Recommendations: 0
ELNbluemax2 asks:

<<My EE US Savings Bonds that were 7.5% until they matured in 96 have only been getting 4% since. If I cash them and don't convert them to HH Bonds, all the tax will be due now. Any suggestions, Pixy??>>

No, not really. If you desire a higher return without converting to HH bonds, then you will have to pay the taxes to get the proceeds into something else. Unless you have a tax problem, there's nothing wrong with that. Sooner or later that piper must be paid anyway, and that being the case then why tolerate a return with which you're unhappy when a better one possibly exists elsewhere with a similar risk?

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.