Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I got an email offer from MoneyPaper to set up a DRIP with Coca-Cola for a reduced fee, $10.

So I go to set it up. The first screen told me the fee was $10, due to the special offer.

But then when it came time to check out, the amount was $30.

Anybody got any idea what's going on here? The offer is supposed to expire on 28 August.

I had said that I was going to use MoneyPaper to set up DRIPS from now on, but I don't know. I know lots of folks here have had nothing but good experiences from them, but I've had nothing but bad--so far.

CowDad
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Cowdad said:

I got an email offer from MoneyPaper to set up a DRIP with Coca-Cola for a reduced fee, $10.

So I go to set it up. The first screen told me the fee was $10, due to the special offer.

But then when it came time to check out, the amount was $30.

Anybody got any idea what's going on here?

I have experienced this too. Both with special offers and with member pricing (I subscribe to one of their publications). It seems to be a glitch in the way the page handles discounted orders.

What I do is go back one or two pages and then forward again. It manages to get the correct price on the second try, at least for me.
cicerom in italics:
I have experienced this too. Both with special offers and with member pricing (I subscribe to one of their publications). It seems to be a glitch in the way the page handles discounted orders.

What I do is go back one or two pages and then forward again. It manages to get the correct price on the second try, at least for me.

I guess I could deal with them over the phone. I've had nothing but bad experiences at their website. I know people here who told me I was crazy for going down the street and paying a broker much higher fees than what I could have paid at MoneyPaper, but, like, the frustration of getting anything done at the MoneyPaper site has it's cost. At the time I set up this other DRIP, I thought the cost in dollars at the broker down the street was less than the cost in frustration in dealing with MoneyPaper.

Looks like nothing has changed.

CowDad
No. of Recommendations: 3
I had a similar experience when setting up a Drip thru Moneypaper last year. All problems were resolved promptly and professionally after I got the boss' attention on this board. Since then I've had good luck with the site and will consider using them again in the future.

Just remember that the squeaky wheel gets greased.

The frustration goes away, but the money wasted using a more expensive service never comes back.

T
tenegmonhag in italics:
The frustration goes away, but the money wasted using a more expensive service never comes back.

The frustration has not gone away.

I'll pay not to have to deal with frustration.

I could probably save a few dollars by eating lunch at McDonald's some days. But I don't go there because it's usually a frustrating experience. As far as the squeaky wheel stuff goes, that works if it's a well run outfit you're complaining about. I never have complained at McDonald's. I just don't go back.

CowDad
I had a few problems with the total, also -- however, all I did was just logout, then log back in again, and it was fine. I guess if I went there several times a week, the frustration would probably build up -- but since I don't go there that often, it's worth it to me to save a few bucks.

However, I have a question. I recently bought some stocks for myself to start a few DRiPs, but also wanted to buy a share for my 21 year old daughter to get her started in investing. Rather than pay the extra fee for the Gift of Stock program, I was wondering if there is anyway to get shares of stock in someone else's name at MoneyPaper, and then pay for them through my checking account.

I was trying to figure it out at their website, but I was nervous about inputing two different names, so I gave up.
Mardee,

Of course Dave Fish is the real source for an answer here but I'll jump in with my experiences:

1. If the shares of the Co. you just acquired are the same you want to pass to your daughter all it takes is to transfer shares into her name. This can be done on the back of your OCP statement.

2. If it's a different Co. MP also purchases for close relatives under your membership. Just indicate the owner's name & address and your membership number.

CowDad,

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble with MoneyPaper. For myself, I couldn't be more happy with their service. Mind you all my dealings with them are by snail mail as I'm not overly computer literate. You seem at ease with the local Discount Broker route and I think you should be satisfied that way. The more personal touch is important to some and is a legitimate concern. I think you should give up on MP as it frustrates you and go with what works for you.

OB
No. of Recommendations: 9
Mardee1000,

I too, was nervous about the two names as well. The first field you put your daughter's name, and on the banking info line put your info. I have done this on three separate occasions with no difficulty. I confirmed it by calling the office and asking the first time. If you have doubt, just call them and ask.

exilion
CowDad,

I've had nothing but bad experiences at their website

Frankly, I don't understand why you have such a hard time. If you simply click on the link, it takes you to the order form, which shows the $10 fee and the current date. I've tried this time and again, and had others do so, and not once has it malfunctioned. All I can imagine is that perhaps you are entering an order for the stock from another location, in which case, it might show the regular fee.

dave fish/moneypaper
Mardee,

I was nervous about inputing two different names, so I gave up.
In general, if you are a subscriber, then you can get the reduced fee on purchases for any of your immediate family. If you're not a subscriber, then it doesn't matter, since the higher fee would apply to either yourself or the other person.

You can also call 1-800-388-9993 with any questions.

dave fish/moneypaper
Frankly, I don't understand why you have such a hard time. If you simply click on the link, it takes you to the order form, which shows the $10 fee and the current date. I've tried this time and again, and had others do so, and not once has it malfunctioned.

I just talked on the phone with a lady at MoneyPaper and she went through the same procedure.

She agrees that there is a problem with the page and that it is going to be fixed "within the hour." Several other posters here have said there is a problem with the page.

She says emails are coming in about the problem, but that I was the first one to call about.

Before you send email mass mailings of special offers, I suggest that you first test the web pages.

CowDad
CowDad,

Several other posters here have said there is a problem with the page.

I counted two, which I wouldn't define as "several." ON the other hand, many others seem to have had no problem. Naturally, we want the system to work flawlessly, but anytime you are dealing with a variety of computers, systems, and secure ordering, there's the potential for glitches. As always, we suggest that people let us know when such problems crop up.

dave fish/moneypaper
dave fish in italics:
I counted two, which I wouldn't define as "several." ON the other hand, many others seem to have had no problem. Naturally, we want the system to work flawlessly, but anytime you are dealing with a variety of computers, systems, and secure ordering, there's the potential for glitches. As always, we suggest that people let us know when such problems crop up.

I just went back, and the problem is fixed now, just like the lady on the phone said it would be.

Glad to help out, Dave. But it would be very nice if you didn't need my help next time.

CowDad
No. of Recommendations: 2
Frankly, I don't understand why you have such a hard time. If you simply click on the link, it takes you to the order form, which shows the $10 fee and the current date. I've tried this time and again, and had others do so, and not once has it malfunctioned. All I can imagine is that perhaps you are entering an order for the stock from another location, in which case, it might show the regular fee.

dave fish/moneypaper
=====================
Just a tiny new kid voice, but I had the same problem last week
when I tried to order the JNJ $10 special. I followed the
links, which told me that I was getting the $10 special on two
consecutive screens, but a third screen (which I mistakenly thought
would be my final screen) showed the total as it would have been
with $30. In other words, it was something like $54.76 for a share,
$10 for the "special" plus $5 for something else (I don't remember)
and half-dollar for something else. My subtotal on those two
screens was something like $70.26, but when I got to the next screen,
it gave me $90.26 (or whatever).

I backed out and restarted, but when I encountered the same problem I called MP and realized it was after hours. I was a bit frustrated, but decided to go ahead with it, figuring I could call MP after the fact and they'd be able to trace that they were running a $10 JNJ special that week. When I got to what was the actual final screen, confirming my purchase, it reverted to the previous $70something price. I've actually been watching here to see if it was a me-only glitch, or if someone else would mention it. If nobody had said anything, I would have assumed it was a "stylistic" aspect of MP that was put in to remind you what a good bargain you were getting. :-)

Anyway, this was my first MP experience and though that one aspect was confusing, I've already recommended the site to friends and am looking forward to learning more about the site.

Jul

Jul,

Anyway, this was my first MP experience and though that one aspect was confusing

I'm glad to hear that it worked out OK. Maybe it just has to do with the temporary nature of the fee, and how web pages connect to one another. (I'm no expert!) Hopefully, the longer we carry it out, the better it will work.

dave fish/moneypaper
No. of Recommendations: 4
I also had the same 30 fee problem for Johnson & Johnson. I kept going back and forth until I could get the bill to say $10. Its a great deal so I won't complain over the little work I had to do to get it. It was confusing enough that I did have to make a phone call though. The lady on the phone told me I would be refunded the money if I was overcharged anyways. I'm sure whoever did the programming for that page was in the doghouse over all the calls they got about that problem :D
Where did these $10 deals come from? How can I get one?

T

Go to http://www.moneypaper.com and click on the "$10 Special" graphic located near the top right portion of the page. That will link you to the current special, and give you a place to sign up for e-mail notification of future special offers.

- Rich

www.directinvesting.com/orderform1.cfm?symbol=KO

I think you've got until noon today to do the KO for $10. I just did it and everything is working fine this morning.

I missed out on JNJ, but Dave Fish sent me an email about the KO deal.

CowDad
I just wanted to say that it was because of these 2 deals (for JNJ and KO) that I started those DRIPS for my son. I'm so excited to finally putting my financial plan into play. And for 10.00, you can't beat that. So Dave if you're still reading...how about a deal on Pfizer? :)

And just a quick note, I too had my original screen show a different rate when I ordered the JNJ (at first that is). I was clicking from different links so I'm sure that had something to do with it. But if you go directly from the main page (as was stated) it should show you the 10.00 deal.

Good luck!
Gina
Gina in italics:
I just wanted to say that it was because of these 2 deals (for JNJ and KO) that I started those DRIPS for my son. I'm so excited to finally putting my financial plan into play. And for 10.00, you can't beat that. So Dave if you're still reading...how about a deal on Pfizer? :)

Dave's got some kind of link on his page where you can email him about what you want him to offer next.

And just a quick note, I too had my original screen show a different rate when I ordered the JNJ (at first that is). I was clicking from different links so I'm sure that had something to do with it. But if you go directly from the main page (as was stated) it should show you the 10.00 deal.

The page was messed up. There's no doubt about that. The woman I talked to at MoneyPaper on the phone clicked through it with me and agreed it was messed up. And she had it fixed right away.

But, yeah, Dave, thanks for the deal. And thanks for the email telling me about the deal.

CowDad
how about a deal on Pfizer? :)

Maybe next time. Right now the deal is Kimberly-Clark, until 31 August.

If you're not on Dave's email list, maybe you should get on it, because the Fool guarddogs night consider such announcements as this to be spam.

CowDad