Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
According to the notice sent with my security code for their new website, Emigrant will raise their APY to 5.15% on July 28.

The new website design will begin on July 24.

Phun
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
As a real thing or as a time limited promo?

Just asking, and hoping to receive my letter soon.
As a real thing or as a time limited promo?

I understood it to be the new regular rate. Nothing was mentioned about a limited time.

Phun
Will be interesting to see HSBC's response then. If they don't match, I may be shifting my funds back for a while. Esp if the new website is real nice too :)
No. of Recommendations: 1
Esp if the new website is real nice too :)

Keeping my fingers crossed. I mean, their website reminds me of a company that is still using Windows 3.1.
According to the notice sent with my security code for their new website, Emigrant will raise their APY to 5.15% on July 28.

The new website design will begin on July 24.

Arrrrgh!

Figures. Now that I just opened an HSBC account. <grumble>

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Figures. Now that I just opened an HSBC account. <grumble><B/i>

For $1 each and a bit of time, you should have an account at all 3 - ING, emigrant and hsbc. In your case, you can even do a couple of others with higher balance requirements and then with a few keystrokes, have you money where it's making the most money :)

rad

For $1 each and a bit of time, you should have an account at all 3 - ING, emigrant and hsbc. In your case, you can even do a couple of others with higher balance requirements and then with a few keystrokes, have you money where it's making the most money :)

I think you're right. So, one question:

Can funds be transfered between ING, HSBC and Emigrant directly, or does each transfer first have to go through your originating checking account?

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Can funds be transfered between ING, HSBC and Emigrant directly, or does each transfer first have to go through your originating checking account?

- HSBC lets you link as many accounts as you'd like - even some brokerages. Although transfers *into* HSBC (using the HSBC interface) are slow (~3 days).

- The promos for the new Emigrant Direct website said they would let you add additional accounts as well. This will actually be a nice way to get money to HSBC faster. Initiate it externally (i.e. from Emigrant).

- ING I have no experience with, but considering their website is supposed to be the best by far, I'd be surprised if you couldn't. However, I see no reason to keep an ING account - although I admit I came along well after
they had stopped being the market leader.

So, yes, you can transfer direct.

For right now, having both Emigrant and HSBC will get you nearly the best rate at any time. If you want a third, I'd suggest maybe Presidential or Virtual Bank instead of ING. Unless you're really big into ING referrals.
- HSBC lets you link as many accounts as you'd like - even some brokerages. Although transfers *into* HSBC (using the HSBC interface) are slow (~3 days).

You can't like HSBC (or any other bank using Cashedge) to ING.
You can't like HSBC (or any other bank using Cashedge) to ING.

that should be "link"

and the exception is if you open a checking account at HSBC, you can then link the HSBC checking to ING.
Yep, thanks jrr7. I just read that at my ING site. Frustrating. That means, at least, that if I open an Emigrant account, I can link HSBC and Emigrant.

I've no use for an HSBC Checking account, so I won't bother with that, and if I want to take from ING and move it to HSBC, I'll just have to go the extra step and first transfer it to my regular checking. Not that difficult.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
I've no use for an HSBC Checking account... if I want to take from ING and move it to HSBC...

I opened an HSBC checking account specifically so i could move money back and forth to ING.

ING lets me transfer to/from my HSBC checking. And HSBC lets me do instant transfers between my HSBC Checking and HSBC Savings.
No. of Recommendations: 2

They have acted as promised. Emigrant is now the rate leader among no-minimum accounts.