Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
With the new EmigrantDirect's web site upgrade, the account number has also changed. Does anyone know if this will impact direct deposits? I have setup ACH links into my Emigrant's account under the previous account number and was wondering if I will need to update those external ACH links.

I have submitted inquiries to EmigrantDirect's customer service, but have not even received any kind of responses.

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Does anyone know if this will impact direct deposits?

Direct deposits go to an account and routing number, which never change. The web site is for customer interaction.
Huh, no, beanmeister's right... the account number *did* change.

Now its a different number of numbers, so I'd imagine that anything coming to the old one would get forward to the new one, but... its a good point.

Where do you see that? There was no letter stating an account number change.

Where do you see that? There was no letter stating an account number change.

Go to the ACCOUNTS Tab, then click the PREFERENCES link (far right).

All of the the account numbers (including "Funding Accounts") show up here.

Phun
Go to the ACCOUNTS Tab, then click the PREFERENCES link (far right).

Thanks, I wonder why they did that. It would have screwed up the download to Microsoft Money. As for ACHs, you would need to watch that they go through. I bet they will be good for several months.
With the new EmigrantDirect's web site upgrade, the account number has also changed. Does anyone know if this will impact direct deposits?

Thank you for jogging my memory on this issue! I had my former Emigrant account set up in HSBC for transfers. This may or may not work, but even if it works in transition there should be a point where the old account number stops working.

Just went to set up my Emigrant accounts in HSBC for transfers. I expect everything will go smoothly, and I'll be able to delete the old account number from the HSBC external accounts list. I'll let the board know if I hit any snags.

This isn't a huge deal (as long as I can log into all my acounts!), because I only use these links for on-demand transfers. I'd be a lot more concerned if I had a piece of my paycheck being direct deposited to Emigrant instead of using Emigrant's recurring transfers to move money from my checking account.

Patzer
Patzer, please do report back with your findings regarding external ACH transfers using the new account number.

I just completed the ACH link verification process for two external accounts prior to the web site upgrade and will wait for a response from Emigrant as to the impact of the new account numbers. Worse case is that I have to reinitiate the verification process again.

There was no letter or notification of this change. I found out when I was comparing the account number in my Quicken account against the account number displayed on the EmigrantDirect new web site.
Patzer, please do report back with your findings regarding external ACH transfers using the new account number.

Update: I set up HSBC to link the new Emigrant account numbers on Friday, 7/28. The confirmation deposits showed up before 8:30 am on Monday, 7/31. Apparently HSBC can transfer fast when they want to.

Step two: I asked HSBC to transfer funds to my old Emigrant account number (previously set up) and both new account numbers. Of course, I used different amounts for each transfer so I can tell which is which from the other end. I expect this to work flawlessly. After this completes, I'll test the other direction.

Patzer
Update: I set up HSBC to link the new Emigrant account numbers on Friday, 7/28. The confirmation deposits showed up before 8:30 am on Monday, 7/31. Apparently HSBC can transfer fast when they want to.

Yes, they can. The transfer happens immediately. The problem is that the bank that initiates the transfer never gets any acknowledgement unless it fails. And a failure acknowledgement may take several days to be received (or even several months if someone really screws up).

HSBC choses to deal with this by not acknowledging the transfer for 3 days. Most other place acknowledge it, but just put a hold on the money for 3 to 10 days.

Anyway, the system is screwed up, and HSBC's response to it is screwed up as well.

Btw, you think that was quick? I did it yesterday (Sunday) and see my test deposits in Emigrant today already too. :)

After this completes, I'll test the other direction.

Hmmm, do you know something I don't? Or is it the other way around?

According to the new Emigrant site, you can only link to checking accounts, because you need to send them a voided check in order to fully process the adding of an external account. This wouldn't be doable for an HSBC Direct savings account. So you wouldn't be able to do an Emigrant/HSBC transfer at Emigrant.

Is there some way around this?
I received a response from Emigrant's customer service regarding the new account number and the old account number. Emigrant said that the old account number will continue to work for a temporary period so that customers will have time to update theirs direct deposit links to reflect the new number.

I am in the process of updating my Ameritrade ACH link into my EmigrantDirect account. However, when I tried using the specified ABA routing number for EmigrantDirect of 226070319, Ameritrade informs me that they have been instructed to use the ABA routing number 226070403. Anyway, this also happened before and the ACH verification process was successful.

Emigrant said the 226070319 is for EmigrantDirect and 226070403 is for Emigrant Banks.

After this completes, I'll test the other direction.

Hmmm, do you know something I don't? Or is it the other way around?

According to the new Emigrant site, you can only link to checking accounts, because you need to send them a voided check in order to fully process the adding of an external account. This wouldn't be doable for an HSBC Direct savings account. So you wouldn't be able to do an Emigrant/HSBC transfer at Emigrant.

Actually, it's rather simpler than that. The test would be initiated at HSBC, to transfer directly from Emigrant to HSBC without having to go through my checking account. As far as I know, you are correct about the limitations of linked accounts to initiate transactions from the Emigrant side.

Patzer
The test would be initiated at HSBC, to transfer directly from Emigrant to HSBC without having to go through my checking account.

Ah, yeah, okay. Well, that'll work. If it works one way, it'll work the other. Just expect HSBC's usually 'magical disappearing 3-days-of-interest' trick.