Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
Emmette,

I can't explain the disdain. I bought my first bunch at over $40 (just a small amount to get in the game), and then more at $32, and then more just this week as my June puts were executed early. I think my average cost is around $28.

The Russell 2000 fell by 14% from May 10th to June 13th, so I think the sell off in small caps has hurt ELOS. Not being able to buy back stock is a problem. Well, not really a problem, but if they could buy back stock it would provide some votes in the near term voting machine. The company has a high short interest (so it gets red flagged on Hewitt's 5 minute drill), and I think the stock can definitely be artificially depressed by shorts. It is volatile and any buying interest seems to send the stock up quickly.

3 of the largest holders dumped the stock this year, which is part of it going down. If you believe in technicals, then there was no support between $25 and $20, so when it broke the $25 level...

And there's always concern over competition. Management turn over didn't help the recent price either. I think the moat is smaller than none if that's possible. They have patents, but there's nothing stopping anyone from coming out with a better or different way of firming skin/wrinkles/veins/hair. And with PMTI suing CUTR, I think that spooked some investors (although ELOS uses different technology [ie, energy and light], my research shows the laser component uses the same wavelength and pulse duration that's covered under PMTI's patents, so they'd have to prove to a court that using energy as well as the laser is not covered under PMTI's patents [of course PMTI's patents only cover hair removal, not wrinkles or cellulite etc].)

And missing 2 quarters in a row of revenue estimates certainly doesn't help. However, the CIBC analyst who reiterated his buy yesterday has a history of good channel checks (he called the Q4 miss before Q4 was over), so I view that as a good sign for the current quarter. And I think if they can prove that their investment in sales will pay off, the stock will be right back to $30. We may not see $40 again for a long time, but I don't think $30 is that far off.

My model shows that the current price, with a 12% discount rate, is estimating 5% sales growth, additional investment in working capital (receivables) of $2M more than the previous year (ie last year was $8m, this year $10M more, next year $12, etc), and expenses as a % of sales higher than the most recent quarter (which was higher than the street was expecting). I think that's just overly pessimistic. I conservatively get about $37 a share in value, I can get over $50 if receivables quit growing so fast and I can get $55 if they gain some leverage from selling expenses. My sales growth rates are, starting from the $115M in 2006 (management guidance, we might have to adjust down after Q2)

20% - 2007
18 - 2008
3% terminal

Using the expectations investing approach, I estimate only 2 years of 20% sales growth before 3% terminal growth justifies the current price (assuming massive working capital needs). It's only 1 year if I assume normal working capital needs.

So yes, I think it's a strong buy right now. It's currently about 10% of my portfolio, or I'd be adding more. I couldn't pull the trigger when it was below $18 earlier in the week, however I expect I'll be selling some more puts along the way.

Cameron
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.