Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 16
After reading Robbie Geary's post

...tpoto has a long history of misleading posts...
..he should stop posting disinformation on a message board...

I guess that I should not post here anymore.

If you go back in history, though, the great Zeelotes
has confirmed many of my posts' calculations and premises.
And I have received numerous emails mentioning that
they were profitably using my suggestions.
(Maybe some might confirm that in replies.)
So actual results rule.

But if I have mislead anyone, that was never my
intent as I often followed my own advise for
picks and have done quite well.

Usually, I picked up an idea from an article and then
tried to replicate it (in Excel, or portfoliovisulalizer)
and then tried to improve on it (Excel's solver).

I started a separate board several years ago
and you will find my future posts there.

https://boards.fool.com/market-screens-118303.aspx

But it was an enjoyable 20+ years.
Thanks

tpoto
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 11
"...tpoto has a long history of misleading posts...
..he should stop posting disinformation on a message board..."

The complaint was that you persist in making the crystal ball error, which assumes that you would have known several years ago which stocks would do good in the subsequent years.

This is a very common and easy error to make, and something that people need to be VERY guarded against inadvertently making.

If you are going to persist in making this error--despite being called on it many times--then, yes, you should go elsewhere.
No. of Recommendations: 17
tpoto:
If you go back in history, though, the great Zeelotes has confirmed many of my posts' calculations and premises. And I have received numerous emails mentioning that they were profitably using my suggestions. (Maybe some might confirm that in replies.)

I can confirm that I use Bear Catcher I (which Zeelotes has credited you for) as the trend-following component of a successful Exponential Signal Decay trading system. Thank you!

But what does that have to do with anything brought up in the other thread? You seem to have the mentality of the star student who defends himself when he gets caught cheating on the final exam by saying, "But look at all the times this year that I didn't cheat!"

And nobody is calling for your expulsion. I've merely asked for you to stop cheating at backtesting. Is that really too much to ask? The way you've been responding to this request over the years would almost suggest that we were demanding that you give up your religion!

Robbie Geary

P.S. Seriously... cheating at backtesting!
No. of Recommendations: 37
Stay!

Jim
No. of Recommendations: 8
WTF? I still use some stuff you posted and I modified slightly in my 401K, and definitely owe you a drink sometime.
Ignore the nattering nabobs.

Smufty
No. of Recommendations: 23
tpoto,

I join the others here who are urging you to keep on contributing to this board and engaging with us. I find your insights and strategies valuable.

Please note that your "good days / bad days" idea was not only welcomed by Robbie, but that he even went to the extent of updating his gtr1 code with new functions that simplified backtesting your strategy. That must have been a lot of work on his part.

So don't let a little criticism shake you. Even great scholars publishing articles for scientific journals face this type of scrutiny all the time. Most of your posts have been welcomed and inspired others, and I look forward to your continued presence on this board.

All the best,
Ron
No. of Recommendations: 4
I always enjoy it when tpoto posts. With a little help, I can usually recreate his screens with minimal means- some of the other screens are too advanced for me to recreate.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I think your posts are great, and you designed two of the best screens there are. I hope you stay.
No. of Recommendations: 6
tpoto
...tpoto has a long history of misleading posts...
..he should stop posting disinformation on a message board...

The way I read the above is a request to not have posts with results that are not relevant(i.e. results that are crystal ball and are not applicable) which is a reasonable request for a board with the title "Mechanical Investing".

However, I don't see anything in the statement about not making posts with new ideas. As many have written, your ideas are welcome.

Craig
No. of Recommendations: 3
rdutt:
Please note that your "good days / bad days" idea was not only welcomed by Robbie, but that he even went to the extent of updating his gtr1 code with new functions that simplified backtesting your strategy. That must have been a lot of work on his part.

No work at all--the simplification of TopLineFirst's URL was based on old field functions already revealed. As for the timing system itself, I didn't express my opinion on it.

Robbie Geary
No. of Recommendations: 17
Tpoto please reconsider your decision to leave this board.  I would miss you as will many others.

As you probably know, message boards were in their infancy the etiquette was horrible.  Most message boards were on AOL since they were the major consumer platform. On boards, people often would insult, name call, and be jerks to others.

One great exception was our board. We were civil from the start but every once in awhile, we weren't. This is one of the times. We all make mistakes. But please don't quit because a person made a mistake. Your 20 year contribution to this board has been beneficial to all of us. Please continue your contributions and don's quit.
Elliot
No. of Recommendations: 0
After many many years it is obvious the using known logic to pick winners isn't really working. So I have often looked to the not-obvious to find new ideas. I am not talking about non logical conclusions. There has always been a strong negative voice here on these attempts, that borders on abusive in my opinion. I always found using the crystal ball interesting, maybe not something to put my money in to. if nothing else it was fun. It was like listening to a person who had a different perspective to mine. You can always be appreciative and who knows maybe the one kernel you never knew exists comes to light.

You can label it as a crystal ball idea and leave it for those whose find it interesting.