Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

I constantly look to end picks on caps, and one I found today to end and say good-bye to is Energy Transfer Equity, L.P. (ETE).

I picked it to underperform and what has happened since I picked it?  According to the screen I get on it the S&P is down 15.98% since I picked it.  It is down 16.90%.  Hopefully it will close green for me.

For me caps is a game.  I am Canadian and it is American stocks and I'd have to have a heck of a good reason to be compelled to invest in the American stock exchange right now.   I pretty much exited all of my American positions in the fall of 2006 on fears of the US dollar declining. 

Right now it seems that the Canadian dollar is closely following the US dollar in declining and although I think Canada faces some serious challenges, Canada's debt simply isn't anywhere close to as serious as the US.  Further, we've recently been though the pain of trying to reduce government debt and Canadians see the link of having to pay for what you ask for.  Our government is hardly getting into the bail out game, as Ontario's manufacturing sector has bitterly complained.  Americans have asked and asked and asked and have yet to pay for it.  I think longer term the Canadian dollar further strengthens relative to the US dollar.

So, I stay away from American stocks and just play a game here.

I expected ETE to go down, it has, only just barely faster than the S&P has tanked.  Certainly if you'd shorted it you'd have done well, however, in this game, it is a barely break even proposition.  Was there a specific reason I picked ETE?  If there was, I don't remember it and I simply think this one is now to close to predict one way or the other what it is going to do.  So, I am out. 

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.