Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1

I heard the following teaser on the news, so I cannot vouch for its correctness.

California has done such a good job in conserving energy (and the weather has helped out) that we now have excess energy. But according to the news teaser, we are not selling it to others. We are paying people to take it off our hands.

GW
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
California has done such a good job in conserving energy (and the weather has helped out) that we now have excess energy.

California has excess energy for two primary reasons: (1) Governor Gray-out Davis bought a bunch at above market prices and (2) the state legislature got off their butts and approved the creation of additional production capacity.

Weather is a significant factor since the peak energy demand by consumers is during the hot summer days. A down turn in the economy is an important factor since the rapid expansion of energy hungry business has stopped. Increased conservation is a negligible factor compared to these two.

The excess energy may not be sold to other locations, but California may incurr a penalty for not using it. (Depending on the contract agreement.) So, in a sense, California is paying other to take it off our hands. OF course, not having any specific info on the contract and the souce of the news commentator, it's hard to say what has happened.
GeorginaW: I heard the following teaser on the news, so I cannot vouch for its correctness.

California has done such a good job in conserving energy (and the weather has helped out) that we now have excess energy. But according to the news teaser, we are not selling it to others. We are paying people to take it off our hands.

I, for one, find myself at a complete loss for words, with the receipt of my most recent Edison bill... although our kw/month has diminished over the past 5 to 10 years, our bill this month has <gasp>... doubled...

We won't have to eat cat food to pay it, but wasn't this the kind of stuff from which sprang the American [and French] Revolutions?...

An angry and smoldering BB.