Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Looks like these credits are due to expire at the end of this year:
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Energy-Incentives-for-Individuals-in-...

Any info on whether they have been, or are likely to be, extended into 2014?

TIA,
YG
(planning a major home renovation with construction due to start Jan 2014)
Print the post Back To Top
No info, but, would point out that congress has a history of brinkmanship for these kind of things. So I would not be surprised if they did pass legislation to address these credits. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if they did not since nothing much surprises me coming out of congress.

Bob
No. of Recommendations: 1
Any info on whether they have been, or are likely to be, extended into 2014?

They have not been, and I think there's little chance they will be. The last time they went to the brink in December there were some things they made permanent and others that they extended for a year or two. There was nary a peep from either party in favor of extending the payroll tax holiday when it expired last year. There's zero noise coming from the pols about an extender bill this year.

Another one ending this year is the sales tax itemized deduction. Stands to reason since starting (and finishing) this year that one works to my advantage.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Okey-dokey, thanks.

YG
No. of Recommendations: 1
Keep in mind that most of those energy credits had lifetime limits on them. Even if they were extended and you'd taken earlier credits you might not qualify.
I'm in a similar situation - I've been working with my gas company since June on conversion and they have been dragging their feet for months. As a result, I'm most likely not going to be able to take advantage of the tax credits or utility rebates (although I expect the rebates to be renewed for 2014 in some sort of manner.)