Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Engine and transmission combo was good......but it had an automatic that I found smooth....but slow on shifting. Towards the end of the trip, it stated to get annoying since it would sometimes shift right to almost redline and then hit the next gear.....essentially hitting two gears when a single change was needed. A recent Grand Prix GT I rented had the fastest auto I have ever tried.....and I'd prefer it in this car.

I will admit that GM is delusional but they consider the Grand Prix GXP a competitor to the G35. Although they are not even in the same league IMHO the Grand Prix GXP does out handle, out break, and out accelerate the G35. The 4-speed auto in the Grand Prix and all the W-Body's may be a boat anchor from a technology stand point, but they are damn good boat anchors - and I agree that it is an amazingly fast shifting automatic transmission not subject to hunting and pecking. I would find the skip shifting annoying to - I believe that this is a similar complaint on the Chevrolet Corvette. Running up to redline and then shifting is the nature of the engine, with its fat horsepower curve and somewhat limited torque in comparision. This is probably why you enjoyed the engine/tranny combo on the Grand Prix so much, gobs gobs of deep torque tied to good gear ratios on a quick shifty tranny - ideal for 0-60 and 1/4 mile sprints.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.