Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Having recently bought my new truck (FWIW a Chevy Silverado) I want to maintain it as well as I can. I made a vow that I would keep the engine compartment clean in my next vehicle. I figure doing so will make diagnosing problems -especially leaks- a little easier (or at least more pleasant) and may help prolong the life of rubber parts.

How is best to clean the engine compartment? I was thinking a mild cleaner (probably Simply Green) and a brush/sponge and rinsing with a garden hose. Is there anything under there that I'll need to protect from a moderate stream of water? With modern ignitions, I expect the electrics to be sealed and able to withstand the water. Good assumption? I figure I will do this every other month or so -or more often depending on how much dirt's gotten up there. I do not drive offroad and am not talking serious mud.

Thanks!

FoolNBlue
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.