Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Having recently bought my new truck (FWIW a Chevy Silverado) I want to maintain it as well as I can. I made a vow that I would keep the engine compartment clean in my next vehicle. I figure doing so will make diagnosing problems -especially leaks- a little easier (or at least more pleasant) and may help prolong the life of rubber parts.

How is best to clean the engine compartment? I was thinking a mild cleaner (probably Simply Green) and a brush/sponge and rinsing with a garden hose. Is there anything under there that I'll need to protect from a moderate stream of water? With modern ignitions, I expect the electrics to be sealed and able to withstand the water. Good assumption? I figure I will do this every other month or so -or more often depending on how much dirt's gotten up there. I do not drive offroad and am not talking serious mud.

Thanks!

FoolNBlue
Print the post Back To Top
Seems there is/was a product called Gunk, that works well, cuts into the oils, but is a water soluble product... Spray or brush it on, wash it off... good for cars, Bikes, lawnmowers, all of 'em..

weco
Or if you are not into the petro chem way then Simple Green works well right out of the jug. It cuts the grease and is easy on the ground.
The engine compartment in highway driven vehicle won't really ever get very dirty unless you spill oil or other fluids that hold dirt. A quick spray and wipe down at the car wash every few months should do it. Just cover the air intake and don't spray directly on the electrical components.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Or if you are not into the petro chem way then Simple Green works well right out of the jug. It cuts the grease and is easy on the ground.

Hey, that brings up an important point. Never clean your engine where the effluent will be able to reach the ground or a stream. You could actually reduce your property value, but more importantly, it's pollution. Clean your engine where there is access to a sanitary sewer so the chemicals have a better chance of being treated properly.
That's why doing it at a car wash is a good idea. They have special traps to deal with chemical and particulate matter in the effluent.
Speaking of effluent, our waste water treatment plant boasts that one could drink from its outfall line. Any takers?

UncleLee

No. of Recommendations: 1
...our waste water treatment plant boasts that one could drink from its outfall line. Any takers?

I'd expect the manager responsible for that bit of nonsense should be required to back it up ;-)

Twit
RE: "our waste water treatment plant boasts that one could drink from its outfall line. Any takers?"

My previous civil engineering business designed many wastewater treatment plants. At the live televised grand opening of one, (okay, it was a slow news day), our project manager filled a glass from the outflow, took a drink, and handed it to the reporter. The reporter was literally struck dumb, and still tells the story every time we see him.

should be required to back it up

=======================================================================

Now, stop that. :D

UncleLee

My previous civil engineering business designed many wastewater treatment plants. At the live televised grand opening of one, (okay, it was a slow news day), our project manager filled a glass from the outflow, took a drink, and handed it to the reporter. The reporter was literally struck dumb, and still tells the story every time we see him.

Uh huh. Wonder how many gallons of Pure Rocky Mountain Spring Water We Don't Lie had to be pumped in until the news crew left ;-)

Cynical Twit
I use Gunk's Foamy Engine Brite. On a warm/hot engine, use the whole can, going over everything 2 or 3 times; motor, inner fenders, firewall, radiator, etc. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so, and then rinse with low pressure water. I have a 6-position car wash nozzle, and just use the "mist" setting.

My car has a sealed intake, shielded electrics, and no distributer, so I can afford to go "fire hose" with the foam. When I had less-modern cars, I'd put a plastic bags over the distributer, the alternater, and the carb, as I'd remove the air cleaner.

By looking underhood, you's never guess my odometer says 135,000.

Be clean.

6Speed
I'll have to try Gunk. Can't recall what I used last, but the chemicals reacted with my plastic parts and turned them white. Had to use shiny tire stuff to get it back to black. Not a pleasant thing with a long molded honeycomb intake.

Twit
RE: "Wonder how many gallons of Pure Rocky Mountain Spring Water We Don't Lie had to be pumped in until the news"

Actually, from point of lack of additives, wastewater plant effluent is probably "purer" than your drinking water. (we also designed a lot of water treatment plants)

FYI: The Treatment Plant was in Virginia, MN, the Inspector was "Uncle" Ed Pearsall, and the reporter (now anchorman) was Denny Anderson, WDIO Ch10 Duluth MN.
The Treatment Plant was in Virginia, MN, the Inspector was

Okay, which was it, Virginia or Minnesota?

Sorry, somebody had to do it ;-)

Twit
Okay, which was it, Virginia or Minnesota?

Wait, there's a Virginia that's NOT in Minnesota?

6Speed, baffled
6spd,

RE: "there's a Virginia that's NOT in Minnesota"

THANX SB
Yes, virginia, there is a Minnesota.
Yes, virginia, there is a Minnesota.
===*===

Thanks, Governor Ventura, we weren't sure you knew. : Þ

Da Mopp
Thanks for your replies. It is really awesome that you were able to read into the true meaning of my post and get right to talking about Virginia and Effluent. I have a special relationship with both. I left much effluent in VA before moving to FL.

I realize it won't get that dirty but if I wait till dirt does build up and get baked on it is a little late. My grandfather's Olds 98 engine looks brand new. I like that.

While largely a lurker, I enjoy this board. Much better discussion coming from those of you who appreciate your vehicles. It also makes me feel good when Twitty and Mopp remind me I'm 800+ miles away from the Beltway now. <grin>

FoolNBlue R.F. (Who now sits in traffic behind white Lincolns instead of green Explorers)