Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm posting here to get a knowledgeable opinion vs a >junk it!< post from a Home owners board.

Subject is a Craftsman 2, 22 inch, rear drive mower. Tecumseh engine advertised as 4 HP.

This is an Old mower, my Pop bought it in the '80s? and I inherited it. It required several parts, but I never got the self propelled to work

A week ago I was mowing, got a third done and had to stop to move stuff out of the way. When I pulled the cord, it did not budge.first thought was a bad spring recoil, and second was a piston problem.
The blade could turn the engine over easier in reverse and grinding in forward. So I pulled the head off. The cylinder was smooth, valves moving but I still had the grinding in correct rotation.
I am thinking the lower end rod bearing failed or possibly the connecting rod end broke.

Worth a tear down? or just junk it?
jC
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I personally would sell it and buy a mower with a Honda engine. But I have no skill at repairing small engines.

c
Pulling down a small engine takes several hours, nothing is beyond normal mechanical skills.
The big problem is getting Correct repair parts.
As far as "best Engines" I still think Briggs and Straton is best. Tecumseh came to the front with it's vertical shaft for rotary mowers.
Honda is new to the game and I know of a lot of snow blowers that have lasted years. But if you need Parts, Amazon is the only place to find reproduction parts.
jC
Worth a tear down? or just junk it?

Depends on how convenient it is for you to do the work. Got tools? Got space? Got time? Got know-how? Got beer? Then why not go ahead and have a look-see?

xtn
Got tools? Got space? Got time? Got know-how?
yes. yes . sort of.. yes. working on engines since 10

Got beer?
that's a problem. But the pizza place sells beer. (2 birds, 1 stone)
jC
I think I am going to send an older mower out for carberator repairs. Weed whacking the whole back yard sounds silly.
For now I am going to park the Craftsman until I feel like a tear down or temperatures drop below 85 and humidity falls.
I have other work to do before it turns to Fall.
jC