Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Someone raised a question on the military board about IRA contributions for a deployed service member. Specifically her question was whether the contribution deadline is extended along with the filing deadline.

She gave a link to the IRS website that seems to suggest that this is true.
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=101265,00.html

Answer 12
In general, the deadlines for performing certain actions applicable to his taxes are extended for the period of his service in the combat zone, plus 180 days after his last day in the combat zone. This extension applies to the filing and paying of your son's income taxes that would have been due April 15. In addition to the 180 days, his extension period will include the 46 days that were left before the April 15th deadline when he entered the combat zone. During his 226-day extension period, assessment and collection deadlines will be extended, and he will not be charged interest or penalties attributable to the extension period.

and Answer 26
[A soldier and his/her spouse] can make a timely qualified retirement contribution for the year to [their] IRA on or before the extended deadline for filing [their] income tax return for that year under the extension provisions.

My situation is that I deployed on 03 Feb 2006 and arrived in the combat zone on 05 Feb. I filed my taxes but did not contribute to an IRA for either myself or my wife. If I understand correctly, this means that I have 250 days after I leave the combat zone to contribute to 2005 IRAs for both myself and my wife. Is that correct?

Because I already filed my 2005 taxes, do I need to file a 1040X?

Also, since I got extended for an extra 4 months and won't redeploy until late spring or early summer, for the 2006 TY do I have 180 days plus the 106 days between 01 Jan 2007 and 16 Apr 2007, or do I just have the 180 days?

Thanks for your help.
Print the post Back To Top
Your 180 day window beings when you redeploy period. Even if your rotation cycle says you should return on X date and you dont return for another four months. It's also not tied to your unit so if your the trail party your date is going to be when you personally hit the ground.

Something to note though dealing with military contribution rules outside of USAA is not the primary practive of brokerage/investment houses. In light of this from my own personal expirence I've had to send in letters explaining the nature of this contribution. For example to fully fund my Roth-IRA for 2003 after passage of the hero act my broker required payment in check along with an explanation. No big deal just something extra to think about.

Will
Thanks for the response. I have my Roth with E*Trade. I figured it would take several calls to customer service to get it to work, but I'll be happy if I can do it at all.
Someone raised a question on the military board about IRA contributions for a deployed service member. Specifically her question was whether the contribution deadline is extended along with the filing deadline.
I was the original question-asker on the military fools board.

I called the IRS helpline yesterday, and after searching through the HERO act for 30 minutes, they were able to tell me that the servicemember and their spouse are entitled to contribute to Roth IRA's up to 180 days after the servicemember's return from combat zone. This is found in pub. 3, and the spouse part specifically on page 21.

The rep also said that we could file at any time, and the extension for the Roth still applies. This would apply to a TIRA, but we would have to file a 1040x after the contribution is made.

mm
Glad to have the official word on this one.