Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I had an equivalent 1099 form sent to me via electronic mail because the company from which I received some income is not required to send out actual 1099 forms. Long story short, I may not be able to print it. When I meet with my accountant, can I just say what I received for income, or will the accountant (I've had the same one for years) want an actual printout? I guess another way of asking this too, is an equivalent 1099 reported to the IRS? Thanks for any info...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I had an equivalent 1099 form sent to me via electronic mail because the company from which I received some income is not required to send out actual 1099 forms. Long story short, I may not be able to print it.

Why would you not be able to print it? Perhaps you should find out why not, and to fix it.
Having an issue with my printer, unfortunately, and I'd rather not print the document elsewhere if I can avoid it (I don't print out too much these days, so it is an old printer).
No. of Recommendations: 2
Having an issue with my printer, unfortunately, and I'd rather not print the document elsewhere if I can avoid it (I don't print out too much these days, so it is an old printer).

Would you be willing to forward that e-mail to your accountant? (S)he might be able to print it, or at least look at it enough to prepare your return.
Or take a picture of it from on your screen so you can show it to your accountant when you meet?

Nag
is an equivalent 1099 reported to the IRS?

Many businesses apply for and received permission to use a substitute 1099. These contain all of the information required to be on a 1099, but in a format that differs from the official Form 1099. In those cases, the substitute 1099 information is reported to the IRS.

I have no idea what an "equivalent" 1099 is. You'd need to define that further.

As to getting it to your tax preparer, just forward the e-mail, with whatever this thing is attached, to your tax preparer.

--Peter
No. of Recommendations: 3

Who do you know with a printer you could borrow for a day? Or, put the file on a thumbdrive, take it to his/her house, print it there, and leave 'em a gift card for the paper and ink.

Despite it being annoying to those frugal people among us, maybe you could buy a low end printer if this print job is important enough. I've found that each printer I buy installs itself easier than the previous one. It will also come with ink, and if one of the issues with your old printer was lack of ink, you were going to have to buy something anyway.
maybe you could buy a low end printer if this print job is important enough. I've found that each printer I buy installs itself easier than the previous one. It will also come with ink, and if one of the issues with your old printer was lack of ink, you were going to have to buy something anyway.

A problem with low use printers is that the ink clogs and is a pain to unclog.
Does your accountant have a secure file manager?

This year has taxes have been complicated by surgery and COVID restrictions. We have uploaded files to secure servers for two different CPAs.
My apologies for just now replying back. I had read the advice previous to this.

Ended up emailing the document as suggested. The accountant said he was okay with just getting the data, as apparently it is not required to send back in to the IRS.

I do need to buy a new printer, so I am going to try to do that this year, that is I concede a good suggestion. I tried to find out what the reason was, as suggested, but it just seems not to work. Not sure if I need to download some fix or not; of course, I hate downloading stuff. The reason in terms of not going to someone else's place is I assumed I would have had to answer questions to get at the file, and I always hate going through that complicated process (and then doing it again when I return to my comp; but a fair piece of advice).

In terms of taking a picture, believe it or not, I have an old cell phone I inherited that I just use for emergencies. When I finally have to go to 5g, I will update at that point and then learn that ability (I have no idea whether my current one can even take photos, it is one of those flip ones; I am avoiding for as long as possible becoming part of the phone generation).

I don't know the difference between a substitute 1099 and an equivalent, but this is simply something that looks like a 1099 without being one, it appears (i.e., an official IRS form). The company from which I received income is located outside the country (I think as of the last couple/few years), so now I guess they are not required to send any 1099s. The company used to do this, but then stopped. They offered an equivalent, their terminology.

Thanks again to all, this tax board is always helpful...