Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Er... I didn't read the bill, but the way I was told the bill doesn't pay for mental health. It merely requires coverage which would raise rates for individuals and/or the companies providing health coverage.

Did I read it wrong?

No you didn't read it wrong. What the bill states is that the same coverage you get for physical ailments you get for mental health.

So on my medical plan if I need to see a doctor 365 times a year, there is no limit on me seeing my doctor everyday. Now I have that with mental health.

In my health plan, I don't need to see my primary care physician for most specialization visits, I now have that on mental health.

In my health plan, if I get run over by a bus and need to spend six months in the hospital in the ICU and acute rehab to get better, its covered 100%. I now have the same thing for mental health - if I or one of my dependents were to mentally snap, they would get more than a 72 hour hold and 14 days of acute mental health covered.

For my specific health plan I have a no lifetime limit, no deductible, no copay plan sans emergency room fee of $25. That's it. I'm blessed with some of the best healthcare coverage in the world. If I'm sick I just go to the doctor and say make me better.

But for mental health I get 30 visits a year total out patient, up to 14 days of acute mental health care, no institutional care, no long term hospitalization unless it is for drug/alcohol and then only covered for 30 days in patient.

My child spent 54 days in institutional care last year at the tune of $10,800 per month - uncovered. With the passage of the bill, it would now be covered.

If you have an 80/20 plan with say a $500 deductible and $20 copay, and $2 million lifetime coverage, mental health would not be part of that umbrella, not separate. So for me, personally, my mental health is covered 100%.
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.