Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Proposal
Add a litmus test for any proposed ER withdrawal strategy to the board FAQ.

Rational
I have noticed that whenever a poster proposes a new withdrawal strategies, the board reactions to analyze and critique it. When reading said critique sometimes it appears to the original poster that the board is not open to new ideas for vis-a-vis withdrawal strategies.

Well, speaking for myself, this is just not true. I am very open to hearing any new ideas. However I need the following information to be included with the presentation of the idea: 1) what percentage of ones portfolio can one withdraw each year and 2) a historical risk analysis to determine the chance that one will run out of money if one follows this strategy.

If this information is not presented, it might be the greatest withdrawal strategy in the world but it simply doesn't do me any good. I need a plan that will allow me to live only on withdrawals from my portfolio—no other income.

I don't mean to pick on any particular poster here when I propose this litmus test. I really haven't read about too many withdrawal strategies that would pass this test. The strategy once recommended to me by a professional financial planner flunked. So did Terhorst's 'retire on CDs' approach as did Dominguez 'retire on long bonds' approach.

Anyway, if this were a board rule, it could make some of the discussions about various ideas more objective and little less contentious, IMHO.

So what does everyone think about this idea??
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.