No. of Recommendations: 0
<<Just to make sure I understand, I'm going to restate what you just said... If my current (or soon to be!) employer does _not_ offer an index fund in its 403b plan, I can ask my employer to transfer my 403b account to another "managing company" like Vanguard that does have the index fund. Is that right? Are there any tax/accounting problems inherent with this? >>

You got it. But you won't be moving the money to another 403b plan. It's a 403b(7) account. And BTW, don't be surprised if your employer and/or plan custodian makes this a very difficult procedure for you. Some - either through ignorance or stubborness - like to make the process much more complicated and involved than it has to be. It is legal, and it is allowed by the IRS. Your best bet is to start with the vendor with whom you want to place the account. Let that vendor know you want to establish a 403b(7) account with money from a 403b plan in which you are currently participating. Ask that vendor for the appropriate transfer forms so you can do that. Then go to your employer and plan custodian with the completed transfer forms. Stick to your guns if you encounter difficulty. Sooner or later you can and will prevail.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.