Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Eric
Some people have described the healthcare in Canada as not being too bad. That may be true from their experience. I have read though (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) that there has been an exodus of many Canadian doctors to the U.S. to work.

I don't think that the word Exodus is really correct. There have been doctors who were trained in Canada that opted to head south across the border. The reason is obvious-they can make much more money in the US. What is surprising is that there are not more of the doctors who leave. There's nothing that restricts them from going except that they're Canadians and not Americans. I guess that there will always be this flow of professionals from one country to another.

In the early Seventies many English engineers left England and went to the US. This was claimed to be the Big Brain Drain. Canadian Engineers also jumped across the border. Why? There were lots of good paying jobs in the US at that time and little that prevented these people from entering the US. In fact, they were encouraged. Finally the engineering unions of the big companies like McDonnell Douglas and Boeing started to make a fuss. Their members were losing ground to the foreigners. They lobbied Washington and the Big Brain Drain program was stopped. Some of these engineers are still in the US. And why not, they've made a good life for themselves.

But by and large the doctors who have crossed the border are not the best of the breed. Canada has managed to keep their best doctors.

I can't remember who stated this but it's a good thought. "A man who changes his country is like a dog who changes his bark, he can't be trusted".

Mike €€
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.