Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Erick,

I don't think the surgeons did an unneccasry procedure on my knee. I know the all the partners in the orthopedic group very well (personal friends and golf buddies). First, I had an MRI done because my knee was catching (due to a few loose pieces of meniscus). I had suspected for years my ACL was shot. I had it repaired in 1977 (that was before they did the patellar tendon technique) after a football injury, but the repair had disintegrated. I beleive I have been without an ACL since 1979 or so. I probably should have had another repair done in the early to mid 80's, but I was able to do everything I wanted so I just didn't do it.

The doctors considered an ACL repair (patellar tendon), but decided my knee had stabilized itself well enough, and the success of an ACL repair on a knee that already had signs of OA (and I was recently diagnosed with RA). So, after having talked to two Orthopedic Surgeons who I highly trust, they decided it would be best to clean up what was left of the medial meniscus, remove some of the synovia which was aggravating my RA, and try to get some new cartilage regenerated over a place where I had bare bone showing. I had the surgery under a local and watched the whole thing. Very interesting stuff. They actually took a hammer and a little pointed chisel to hammer about 6-7 small holes in my bare bone, which supposedly increases blood flow and allows for the regeneration of new cartilage.

I'm better off now from a mobility standpoint than before the surgery. I'm just trying to stave off the knee replacement as long as possible and hopefully in 10 years the cartilage implant stuff will be perfected. I think I'll try the Synvisc and see if I one of the fortunate ones that it helps.

NukeJohn
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.