Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
In looking thru the Excel 5 version of the Rule Maker Ranker spreadsheet, I think that I may have discovered a possible error in one of the formulas. In Section #4 - Monopoly Status, each of the formulas compare the values of the target company (column B) against the average of the 3 competitors (column I) with one glaring exception. The Fool Ratio calculation appears to use the first competitor (column F), rather than the average of the competitors. Depending on which competitor you place in the first column, this could cause the value in the Flow Ratio cell to vary from 0 to 4 pts, when it should stay the same regardless of the order of the competitors.

Just thought I would bring this up to everyone before we all start posting potentially incorrect results to the message boards.

Fool On!

the LanceMan

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
The Fool Ratio calculation appears to use the first competitor (column F), rather than the average of the competitors.

Oh my. You're exactly right -- and it's in both versions of the spreadsheet. Thank you so much for the catch. I'll post an announcement in Monday night's Maker Report, along with corrected versions for download.

In the meantime, for anybody who wants to fix it themselves, it's very simple. (This applies to both versions of the sheet.):

First, turn off the protection by going to the "Tools" menu, and choose "Unprotect Sheet." (No password is required.)

Second, in the formula within cell E52, in the three instances where there is an "E," change it to "H."

Third, from the Tools menu, choose "Protect Sheet," and save.

I certainly apologize for the inconvenience. I owe Lance major, major thanks for this important catch.

-Matt

Print the post Back To Top