Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
When you absolutely, positively have to get away from reality, what do you read?

Among recent books, "The Amber Spyglass" comes to mind.

All Time Greats:

Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter series
Watership Down

Some Non-Fiction:

Two Years Before The Mast, forget who wrote it.

Anything by Randy Wayne White (Batfishing In The Rainforest is my favorite).

Anything by Redmond O'Hanlon.
Print the post Back To Top
Two Years Before The Mast, forget who wrote it.

Richard Henry Dana. Here's a picture of him

http://www.bartleby.com/people/Dana-Ric2.html

Uhura :o)
No. of Recommendations: 1
When you absolutely, positively have to get away from reality, what do you read?

It's mysteries for me. Preferably the less graphically violent ones. If I have an entire day to do nothing, it's murder most foul that occupies my time (he says with an evil grin).

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe is my all time favorite. An orchid loving genius who is terrified of the out doors and enjoys nothing better than good food and good beer. What's not to like?

l1soul
The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. They're so soothing for me.

The McAuslen books by George MacDonald Fraser. They're such funny stories.

Gator, were you the one who first recommended that I read The Legend by Randy Wayne White? It embarassing to tear up when you're reading it in the library. I had to order my own copy of Batfishing so I could comfortably tear up in decent privacy.

Thuvia
You DID NOT LIKE "Batfishing In The Rainforest"? And did not especially like "The Legend"?

Wow, I am floored.

My copy is tattered and worn, I've read it at least eight times. How can you not like a dog that catches ten pound jack crevalle?
I read Dean Koontz or Harry Potter.

Sil
Whoa! Hold on there just one minute. I adored Batfishing. "Tear" as in cry, not as in tearing a sheet of paper.

Funnily enough, I wondered how "tear" would be read, but saying I cried made me seem too simpy.

Let me reiterate. I loved Batfishing, especially The Legend, for which I bought the book.

Thuvia
setting the record straight

P.S. You're not yanking my chain are you?
When you absolutely, positively have to get away from reality, what do you read? Thuvia

I absolutely, positively MUST read George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire."
I am so absolutely, positively hooked, smitten, mesmerized - I can't wait for him to get out the fourth book, so I am rereading the first three.
Try it - you'll like it. excuse me - you'll LOVE it.

Lol, sorry I must have some lingering dyslexia.

I found it very touching, too, which is surprising in a book with so much humor.
I love the Martin series, too, though the long wait between volumes is difficult.

I'll probably re-read them before the next one comes out, some of the story lines are getting hazy for me. I like the "beyond the wall" parts of the books the best.
I absolutely, positively MUST read George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire."
I am so absolutely, positively hooked, smitten, mesmerized - I can't wait for him to get out the fourth book, so I am rereading the first three.
Try it - you'll like it. excuse me - you'll LOVE it.

They look way too violent and gory for me.

Thuvia
wuss and scaredy-cat
George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire."

Do you know when book 4 is suppose to be out?
George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire."

Do you know when book 4 is suppose to be out?

Last fall, I checked and Amazon.com was showing June 2003. I had forgotten about it until this morning. I checked Amazon.com and now it is showing April 2004 :(

Sigh.
Last fall, I checked and Amazon.com was showing June 2003. I had forgotten about it until this morning. I checked Amazon.com and now it is showing April 2004 :(

That's a bit offsides isn't it, pushing it back almost a year. Let's hope that he doesn't pull a Jordan and have his work start to go down hill.

Ford

Series regency romances.
It embarassing to tear up when you're reading it in the library.

Oh god, tell me about it. I read on the train, and....

Luckily I commute from NYC so everyone is trained to tune out the crazies.
That's a bit offsides isn't it, pushing it back almost a year. Let's hope that he doesn't pull a Jordan and have his work start to go down hill.

Anything but that!

Actually, the man has a pretty good web site that has recently been updated. And a really, really big beard.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/
Series regency romances.

I enjoy them too. But I rarely read them because I'm too embarrassed to be seen checking them out.

All hail Barbara Cartland.

Thuvia

P.S. Unless you're talking about bodice rippers. I only quickly page through those to read the dirty parts.
Series regency romances.
I enjoy them too. But I rarely read them because I'm too embarrassed to be seen checking them out.
All hail Barbara Cartland.
Thuvia
P.S. Unless you're talking about bodice rippers. I only quickly page through those to read the dirty parts.

I thought Barbara Cartland was mostly Victorian?

And I do read the occasional bodice ripper, except mine mostly have vampires in them.

My new library system seems to have hidden away all the romances - or maybe they don't even buy them? Horrors! Ill have to do a quick run-through of the online catalog. Lord knows I can't buy them, not at 4.95 for 45 minutes of reading.
I thought Barbara Cartland was mostly Victorian?

Not the ones I've read (which really weren't that many). I first heard of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, and her uncontrollable gambling in a Cartland novel and that was pre-Victorian.

Lord knows I can't buy them, not at 4.95 for 45 minutes of reading.

Used books stores. I've seen some overwhelmed with romances.

Thuvia
Not the ones I've read (which really weren't that many). I first heard of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, and her uncontrollable gambling in a Cartland novel and that was pre-Victorian.
Lord knows I can't buy them, not at 4.95 for 45 minutes of reading.
Used books stores. I've seen some overwhelmed with romances.

There's a biography i've been meaning to read. And a used book store I've been meaning to find. Relocating is such a bother.