Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I will be receiving a distribution from an ESOP in the near future. The actuarial handling this has informed me that it will be distributed in shares of stock made out in my name.

What is the proper way of rolling this over to my IRA which I have recently established without incurring tax penalties.

My concern is that the certificates will be in my name and not a direct tranfer to my IRA.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated. I have contacted my tax advisor, the IRS and my broker and I get a different story from each....HELP! Anyone "been there, done that?"
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.