Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I retired from Lucent Technologies in September of 2000. The division I was in was spun off to Avaya in October of 2000. Since I participated in the LU ESPP and still had shares in the plan I was allocated an amount of Avaya shares, based on the amount of LU shares that I held in LU’s ESPP. These Avaya shares were held in the Avaya ESPP.

In 2007 Avaya merged with a private equity firm and became a privately-held company. The merger was a cash merger. Each share holder received $17.50 for each share of Avaya stock that they held. In my case, I received $1111.72 for 63.5267 shares, which was all of the shares held in their ESPP.

I received a 1099-B and an Account Summary. The Account Summary lists all of the fractional Share Lot Histories back to May of 1998. It also lists prior purchases with a notation saying “Not on File”. Included in these lot histories are reinvested dividends.

The price that I paid for these shares, even with the 15% ESPP discount, far exceeded the selling price. There are over 40 individual purchases listed on the Account Summary with some for fractional shares of as little as .0067 shares at varying FMV, Grant Dates, FMV at Purchase and Purchase Date.

My question:

Since the entire holding was sold at one time, is there a way to avoid listing all of these fractional share purchases made over a 10 year period and simply average them and report the loss? FYI, I use TurboTax.

Any assistance would be genuinely appreciated.

Regards,
sonrol
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.