Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi folks,

I saw a reference to this board from TMFVenus posted on TMF PRO. She said there were many tax experts here.

I have always paid quarterly tax payments because I have had significant capital gains and I'm retired. I trade a lot of options. My wife still works and has extra withholding but that doesn't cover the necessary tax due.

My son has, due to the recent bull market and sage TMF advice, recently entered this tax concern. He sold a lot of stock to help buy a new house. His withholding has always resulted in a small refund. So he hasn't considered quarterly tax payments. If he just goes to year end and adds in his capital gains he will have under withheld and be subject to a penalty.

So should he just get a quarterly form and mail the IRS a check? Or will he not get a penalty since all previous years resulted in a refund?

We both have always used TurboTax and Gainskeeper.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.