Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I'm a sole proprietor with an EIN for my consulting business. The reason I applied for the EIN was to establish an i401k plan which allows a generous profit sharing contribution (tax sheltered of course).

My question is this - the 1040ES estimated tax payment vouchers appear to require that I list my Social Security number, can or should I put my EIN here instead? If I use my Social, will I have problems with the IRS later with the tax-free money that I'm putting into the i401k?

The estimated tax forms for businesses look like a huge pain so I'm trying to avoid these if possible.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.