Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Again,

Got hit by pretty big and unexpected capital gains on my mutual funds in 2000. Not from me selling the funds but just from the actions of the fund manager selling off stocks in the fund.

My question is how to take care of this through the year so that I don't have a big tax bill for 2001.

My plan is to pay estimated taxes in Apr, Jun, Sept, and Jan. I will calculate the value of all the distributions I recieved in that quarter (based on transaction reports from the brokerage) and multiply it by 28% and send that in as a estimated tax payment.

Last year most of my funds only distributed gains and dividends in December. If I plan on paying estimated taxes next year to cover these gains do I need to pay estimated taxes in Apr and in Jun if I don't have any capital gains or dividend distributions up to that point? Or is it okay to only pay estimated payments in the quarters that I actually have any distributions? The intent is to avoid owing over $1000 to avoid penalties. I have the appropriate withholding on my pay so that should not be a factor.

Is this the way other fools pay estimated taxes on capital gains from mutual funds? Does this even make sense? Any help would be appreciated.


Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.