Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is probably a silly question, in that I'm missing something obvious, but I'm trying to estimate my 2002 federal and state taxes, and I'm having a problem. I'll be itemizing both, and state taxes are deductible on a federal return, while federal taxes are deductible on my state return.

So I need to know how much I'll owe in federal taxes to estimate my state taxes, but in order to estimate my state taxes, I need to know how much I'll owe in federal taxes. I never ran into this before, because New York has a high enough standard deduction that I didn't have to worry about itemizing until I bought a condo this year.

As I said, I think I'm missing something obvious here, but right now, all I can think of doing is pretending I take the standard deduction for both, figure out what that gives me in taxes, recalculate taxes based on that amount, and continue until both numbers stay constant. That seems both tedious and prone to error, so I was hoping someone else would be able to suggest a better way to do things.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.