Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=19409

Saw this show on CNN. They are convinced that Satan is real. Some believe that the end of the world is going to be in their lifetimes. Only the saved (by Jesus) can make it into heaven. In all honesty, i thought this kind of fairy tale thinking was on the outs... but apparently it is thriving in some parts of this country.

Bush hearing voices and saying it is god talking to him, makes a little more sense to me after seeing the show. But understanding where he is coming from is actually frightening to think our country's leader is this superstitious and has cult like status among the "true believers".

~j

CNN's Marin said Southern Baptists, as the “most conservative” of the “mainline” denominations in the country, “have all but declared war on American culture” in the “fight over faith.”

And the battle “is as much about culture as it is about religion,” she continued.

“It is a fight for faith” primarily against Satan, said Welch, who also is pastor of First Baptist Church in Daytona Beach, Fla. “Our enemy is Satan. Our enemy is not conservatives or liberals, Democrats or Republicans. Those are not our enemy.”

In this fight, Welch said, “eternity is in the balance.”

Yet it didn't take long for the program to turn to politics. The opening clip featured CNN anchor Aaron Brown saying born-again Christians “are making their presence felt well beyond the pulpit.”

Marin pointed to a “new phenomenon” in evangelical churches across America -- their “enormous political influence.”

Hamlet told Marin that Jesus Himself said He is “the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father except by me,” noting that Muhammad, Buddha, and all the other religious leaders are dead. “We serve a risen Savior through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.”

When asked by the CNN reporter if he could assert “there is only one way to the Kingdom of God,” Gaddy responded: “I will never attempt to play God, and to make any statement that is sweepingly exclusive of other people is to assume that I can make a judgment that I believe only God alone can make.”

“There may be a lot of things about the Bible that I don't understand. But I'm not really given the choice of what I can believe and what I can't believe,” Hamlet said.

The program featured brief segments with a family from the Spartanburg church, Cassidy and Robin Carlisle and their two children, Rick, 15, and Caitlin, 11.

Caitlin told of becoming a Christian at age 3.

Marin asked the girl, “Can a 3-year-old really understand or know enough to --”

“All you have to understand,” Caitlin said, “is, I'm a sinner and I need Jesus, and Jesus died for me. That's all you need to understand.”
--30--
This CNN program will be re-aired Saturday, Oct. 30. Check local listings for the time in your area.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.