Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=19409

Saw this show on CNN. They are convinced that Satan is real. Some believe that the end of the world is going to be in their lifetimes. Only the saved (by Jesus) can make it into heaven. In all honesty, i thought this kind of fairy tale thinking was on the outs... but apparently it is thriving in some parts of this country.

Bush hearing voices and saying it is god talking to him, makes a little more sense to me after seeing the show. But understanding where he is coming from is actually frightening to think our country's leader is this superstitious and has cult like status among the "true believers".

~j

CNN's Marin said Southern Baptists, as the “most conservative” of the “mainline” denominations in the country, “have all but declared war on American culture” in the “fight over faith.”

And the battle “is as much about culture as it is about religion,” she continued.

“It is a fight for faith” primarily against Satan, said Welch, who also is pastor of First Baptist Church in Daytona Beach, Fla. “Our enemy is Satan. Our enemy is not conservatives or liberals, Democrats or Republicans. Those are not our enemy.”

In this fight, Welch said, “eternity is in the balance.”

Yet it didn't take long for the program to turn to politics. The opening clip featured CNN anchor Aaron Brown saying born-again Christians “are making their presence felt well beyond the pulpit.”

Marin pointed to a “new phenomenon” in evangelical churches across America -- their “enormous political influence.”

Hamlet told Marin that Jesus Himself said He is “the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father except by me,” noting that Muhammad, Buddha, and all the other religious leaders are dead. “We serve a risen Savior through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.”

When asked by the CNN reporter if he could assert “there is only one way to the Kingdom of God,” Gaddy responded: “I will never attempt to play God, and to make any statement that is sweepingly exclusive of other people is to assume that I can make a judgment that I believe only God alone can make.”

“There may be a lot of things about the Bible that I don't understand. But I'm not really given the choice of what I can believe and what I can't believe,” Hamlet said.

The program featured brief segments with a family from the Spartanburg church, Cassidy and Robin Carlisle and their two children, Rick, 15, and Caitlin, 11.

Caitlin told of becoming a Christian at age 3.

Marin asked the girl, “Can a 3-year-old really understand or know enough to --”

“All you have to understand,” Caitlin said, “is, I'm a sinner and I need Jesus, and Jesus died for me. That's all you need to understand.”
--30--
This CNN program will be re-aired Saturday, Oct. 30. Check local listings for the time in your area.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Saw this show on CNN. They are convinced that Satan is real. Some believe that the end of the world is going to be in their lifetimes. Only the saved (by Jesus) can make it into heaven. In all honesty, i thought this kind of fairy tale thinking was on the outs... but apparently it is thriving in some parts of this country.

Yep, in the Bible Belt. Halloween is particularly entertaining here, the televangelists go all out about it being a Satantic holiday and that trick-or-treating is to be discouraged by 'good' Christians. I once explained to a stuffy Southern Baptist that Samhain, the Pagan holiday on which Halloween is based, is basically New Years Eve in the Pagan calendar, has nothing to do with devil-worshipping, and that the Pagans didn't believe in the Devil or Satan in any case. What !? Not believe in Satan?! She was exasperated that anyone would even suggest such thing. Amazing.
No. of Recommendations: 2
There are other Christians in politics, who let candidates speak from the pulpits, or who craft attack ads against Conservatives.

Funny, they vote Democrat every year yet find themselves in the same rotten cities, schools, and jails.

The LLL is the best plantation manager in the history of the world.

Jedi
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have clients that range from university professors to pro-life ministers.

As their CPA, I know what they do with their $.

I think their are fantastic people on both ends of politics.

My experience with the "fundamentalists" is VERY positive !!

They work hard.
They are good neighbors
They give at least 5% to charities.
They are good parents.
1 80 year old gentleman is going to South American for a month to help build a school this winter

Wish we had more peolpe in the US like these "crazy" fundamentalists.

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<Saw this show on CNN>>--jw

That tells it all, right there.

No question about it, Satan is one helluva creep, but I don't see how he could possibly be any creepier than Aaron Brown of CNN.

Tell you what--if you've never been exposed to any good Southern Christian people--and are just getting your impressions from these agenda-driven, hateful media creeps (who just conveniently put out an anti-Christian hit piece a couple of days before the election, while they still never pass up an opportunity to swoon about "Najaf, the Holy City"), do yourself a big favor. Drag yourself away from MTV for a couple of hours and get ahold of a couple of the Gaither Homecoming Videos. Then sit down and watch them. It's all music, no preaching. And Bill Gaither himself is from Indiana--not even a Southerner. You don't have to buy into anything, and no solicitation of contributions will be made. But just watch and listen, then come back and tell us if you still think those are bad people or that they have a bad influence on anybody.

That's all. Be assured, this is not Jim and Tammye Faye. Something entirely different and very uplifting, if you give it a chance.

/s/ S.T.
No. of Recommendations: 3
get ahold of a couple of the Gaither Homecoming Videos. Then sit down and watch them. It's all music, no preaching.

We finally agree on something. I used to see them on a religious station before I quit watching it when they went political on me.

The old Southern Gospel music is fabulous. And as a kid, I remember in the 'conservative' Baptist church when the traveling quartets would come. The harmonies were beautiful and it was happy and uplifting.

That's what the gospel should be: Uplifting and bringing hope.

Not a political baseball bat to bash poeple over the head with alot of do's and don'ts.

Bill Gaither...yep, great music!!

However, there are some real crazy fanatics in religion, and I saw a 'telethon' last night or the night before on a PBS station where there was alot of weeping and wailing and crying out about putting a certain 'man' in office as President.

Let's not mix religion and politics. It really doesn't work well.