Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Even after reading the whole thread, color me cornfuzzled. Original question on self-publishing, which as I understand it covers a very wide territory. But about half the thread seemed to be about only e-publishing?
Eons ago, I set up a translation between the word processor I had at the time (DisplayWriter) and the publisher of our training manuals. Have kinda fallen back on that experience ever since. I write in emacs, these days xEmacs, and format with my own generic formatting codes which can then be used to translate the text according to the format of the receiving platform. Some collections of essays have been printed and distributed on paper, some translated for various e-book softwares available for the Palm Pilot, some turned into HTML for publishing on web sites, and so forth.
While my experiences are worthless in terms of advice for being paid for writing, perhaps they can benefit others from the angle of the writing itself. As in, throughout changing technologies I have not had to retrain my fingers to do "this" for bolding when they used to do "that", and so forth. Let the translating software figure how to get from here to there; what's what computers are good at, innit?

I'm InLivingColor
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.