Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Even for foreign nationals, the 401k is a sweet deal.

Yes, you can take your money with you, less 20% withholding which will be credited toward your tax return. You would also have to pay a 10% penalty with your tax filing. However, you could roll to an IRA and possibly have access in your home country. I would check with a firm in your home country first.

All of your vested money is yours. 100% of your deferral, as well as any amount vested of your match or profit sharing contribution. Check your last statement to see your vested amount.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.